1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its to do with my dad

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ems, Jan 13, 2017.

1. ems

ems

Hi guys. Havent been on for a while but wanted some advice or just a place to let my feelings out. Its to do with my dad hes been getting drunk a hell of a lot lately, well for quite a while. he always used to have a couple of drink in the evenings but hes just so bad now i hate him when hes like that, always says stuff he would never say if he was sober. Ive had enough i cant stand him drinking him self to death i know he doesn't care if he does. Ive had enough of it all i just want him to be happy and not have a go at me when hes drunk.

Its just so upsetting im trying not to cry writing this and it takes hell of a lot to upset me im just warn down u know.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a very difficult subject area. (i) to get your dad to take control (ii) to protect your own well being because it can be very distressing for you.

Are there advisory places you can go in your area - or even speak to your own doctor on both (i) and (ii).

Are you able to talk to your dad about this problem? He has to want to change. Maybe if he understood how distressing it was for you he would sit up and take notice.

Could you write him a letter so he gets it when he is sober?

There must be some online support you can get elsewhere too? I hope you get lots of good advice too from great people on EC. Sorry I can't offer more advice but addiction needs a very specific expertise or personal experience.

Good luck (*hug*)

3. ems

ems

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

4. killswitch0029

There are some alcoholic hotlines out there. Maybe try and contact one to try and get some advice on the matter or maybe try to speak with him about contacting one himself to try and get some assistance.

5. ems

ems

Yes thanks i know this wasnt really the best place to ask but knew people would have some ideas of what i could do

6. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thres Al anon which offers help to family members of drinkers in the U.K. theres a hotline and theirs groups and things you can go to What is Al-Anon? | Al-Anon UK.

Regarding your Dad, theres plenty of help available IF he wants to access it. All he has to do is go to the G.P and they will be able to refer him to whatever services are appropriate in your area. Also there will be alcoholics anonymous meetings in your town as well if he fancies that.Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd - Home.
    You have my sympathy as my Dad was drinker and its put me off drinking and being around pubs/drinking etc for life. Good luck with it all.

7. ems

ems

I might have a look at that. Thank you!