1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspergers and Gay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mrd1015, Jan 15, 2017.

1. mrd1015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hello everyone. I just came out as gay a few weeks ago. It's been kind of a whirlwind journey for me recently. My parents handled my coming out well, but they seemed surprised I actually knew what it meant. To be honest, all I really know about me being gay is that I'm exclusively attracted to other guys.

I also have Aspergers Syndrome. My parents have really sheltered me, and because of this, I do not know anything about what it means to be gay, the wider GLBT community, or relationships. I was wondering if anyone knew of any resources for someone who is gay, and on the Spectrum?

I'm not very good at being social, and I'm afraid if I trust the wrong kind of person, or resource that I will be taken advantage of. I am looking to avoid that. Does anyone have any kind of suggestions for books, organizations, or other resources I could connect with in a safe manner?

I'm a part time college student, and I have already made contact with my university's GLBT group. I hope this was a good first step on my part, I'm not sure what else there is out there though. Any friendly suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also have Aspergers and am a queer guy.

I think you made the right choice in seeking out an LGBT friendly college group. Other resources would include, but are not limited to:

-A therapist to help you sort through your feelings in this and develop healthy coping mechanisms.

-Online resources (such as EC, which I can attest to being an excellent and supportive place in the 2 years I've been a member). For people with Autism Spectrum Disorders, there is also a website called "Aspie Central" which is a great resource.

-Support groups. Like the one at your college or you can also scout out local LGBT clinics or clubs.

It is good your parents are supportive. Try to keep them as your allies; good relationships with family is invaluable. And you know, just be you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay or having Aspergers. It is just something that makes you unique. Focus on finding support and respecting yourself and those in your life as you walk through this.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second what the above person said. I have aspergers as well, and I've found the most help with LGBT + ASD friendly therapists, as well as general LGBT sites. A lot of ASD people are some form of non-straight, so It's not hard to find.

4. mrd1015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

Hi Kodo, and Creativemind, thanks so much for these suggestions. I will definitely be looking into finding an LGBTQ+ friendly therapist. I will have to look, and see if there any support groups in my area. My concern is finding resources that are safe, and affirming. I'm not the best at reading social cues, or new people, so I am hoping to avoid being taken of advantage of.

I'm also hoping my college's LGBT+ group yields more resources. Thanks to the both of you again.