1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regaining Control over my emotions

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Keymon, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Keymon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone,

It is my turn to read out loud tomorrow at college. I suffer from social anxiety. Through counselling and hitting events head on, no matter how anxious I may feel, I am still persevering with no luck. I came out October 2015 whilst drunk to my mum. My family are completely accepting, but I still to this day am struggling to truly accept myself.

I'm currently freaking out about having to read aloud! I've never not turned up or avoided these anxiety provoking situations, but I haven't really improved. So I'm thinking maybe it is linked more to acceptance of myself. I just feel as though when presenting or reading out, I have no control at all.

Last week something weird happened. My mum started talking to me saying how shes proud of me and that there is nothing wrong with being gay - which I completely agree with. But I started to lose control of myself. I almost started crying right in front of her and got really upset. I'm thinking maybe this is why I have social anxiety?

Has anybody got an suggestions on how to gain back control? Also has anyone been or going through a similar situation? Thanks in advance. :bang::bang: