1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling different

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by daughtry, Jan 15, 2017.

1. daughtry

daughtry Guest

I'm struggling with being gay because I feel so different. When I see a pretty girl and I'm not attracted to her, it makes me feel "off." The thought process goes like, "Most guys would be attracted to this girl...why can't I just be like most guys?" Does anyone relate to this? It makes me feel discombobulated, like there's something wrong with me, even though I know there isn't actually anything wrong with being gay. It's hard to explain.

2. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there...

I can totally relate.
    I feel exactly the same from time to time... even day to day... I came out, dated (only 2 relationships), but still felt weird. I also know there isn't anything wrong being gay but part of me wonders ...when I see a pretty woman, I'm like..oh wait... you're gay... it's weird to explain.
    I am trying a bay steps/day-by-day thing to help me feel better about myself. I have a friend who helps and supports me and we talk often about how I feel. He is also gay and it took him long to fully be himself.
    Maybe a friend to talk to could help?
    Hugs

3. daughtry

daughtry Guest

Thanks. Yeah, it's hard for me because before I came out, I wasn't consciously "forcing" myself to like girls in order to keep up appearances. Like, I used to think I was attracted to the singer Demi Lovato and the actress Jennifer Lawrence, but now that I'm out, I realize that I just think they're beautiful women, but I'm not actually attracted to them. And it just freaks me out that I was able to trick myself into believing that I was interested in them. But I guess when you're in a homophobic environment like I was, your defense mechanisms kick in and cause you to deceive yourself...it's quite strange lol.

4. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hear you loud and clear... I did the exact same. I forced myself to like a cellist at my university's music school, I even went so far as to tell a friend I had a crush. While I did think she was pretty, I realised that I was fooling myself all along. I still find sometimes I try to make myself like women that way but ... it's not going to work and that's where I am now .. .trying to let myself be me... and re-adjust to being out. (Living in a closeted/homophobic country for almost 7 years after coming out was not the best idea but it is what it is and now I am re-adjusting, lol).

5. daughtry

daughtry Guest

Lol yeah, I did the same thing, told a bunch of my friends I had a crush on a girl I was forcing myself to like and then when they were all like "oh my gosh, who is it!?" I was like "UHHHH, no one." So awkward haha.

6. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL... I know right. I was worried my friend would go an tell her (he was a music student and she was in his classes... I was like... You dare!!!!! So weird. So awkward.
    I eventually told the same friend I was gay and he was like... OH... so what is that like? Again, awkward :slight_smile:

7. daughtry

daughtry Guest

Haha nice. I remember my friends were pressing me to tell them who it was and one friend was like, "Is it someone I know?" and I think I said "yeah" without specifying who it was, and I was so worried he was going to figure it out and tell the girl in question that I liked her...maybe if I had blurted out her name I actually would have come out back then because I would've realized I was forcing my crush on her lol...hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Ahaha, "so what is that like?", that's such a weird question lol. I would not know how to answer that.