1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[28 yo dating for first time ever] Is a second date only two days later unusual?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BobObob, Jan 15, 2017.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a 28 year old guy who went on a date for the first time in my entire life on Saturday. I came into it expecting it to be awkward train wreck, since I have no experience regarding dating, have poor 'social intelligence' being on the autism spectrum, and there's an age gap (28 to 34 probably isn't a big deal in most cases, but most people date before they're 28). In spite of this, I decided to chat with him and later take him up on his proposal to meet for coffee because of a few indicators that we might be compatible such as him being a 99% match on that website, him working in the same field as I. Saturday's coffee date went better than I thought, as well as longer than I thought (is ~1.5 hours typical for a coffee date?). At the end of the date, he suggested that we meet again, to which I agreed. Later that day we briefly chatted via text (e.g., "how was the rest of your day...").

Just before posting this, he asked me out for dinner tomorrow (Monday). When scheduling the first date, I had told him that I'd be available on Monday (thanks to having MLK day off of work). Is it unusual to have a second date so soon after a first date? Is it a red flag? After the first date, I wondered if he's a bit desperate, although I'm pretty clueless about these things. I'm not sure if asking for a second date only two days after the first is a sign of desperation and/or neediness.

Also, what's the etiquette regarding paying for a dinner date? Is splitting the bill typical for a dinner date?

Thanks in advance for the advice, apologies for my poor writing.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like great progress! If you guys got on, then another date so quickly is not unusual. I would be prepared to split the bill. If he says he wants to pay (since he asked to go to dinner), then suggest splitting it, and if he then insists on paying after you offer to split it, then let him pay. Assuming your comfortable with that.

3. KitSylph

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with OnTheHighway: this sounds perfectly normal for a date that went really well! That includes the texting later, the length of the date, and the second date so soon. If you've found someone who might really make you happy, regardless of whether your certain or it's a long thing, waiting is tedious.

I also think OnTheHighway's advice about who pays is perfect: be prepared to pay half (or you can even offer to pay for everything if you want, but there's no real reason to do that I can think of), but be open to him paying the whole bill if you split it.