1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I started college...and I already want to drop out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Andrew99, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As the title says. I started community college just a week ago. So far I'm not super thrilled about it. I worked my butt off for two years through online school and graduated a little over a month ago. I didn't really have many breaks as I went through summer. Now I'm regretting that I didn't wait a little while longer to start college. I mean I did have a month off but I just don't feel ready to start college. I also miss being online. I hate being in a classroom and I hate sitting through lectures. I looked into some of the clubs they have and I wasn't interested in any of them. I know my mom will say she doesn't want me to miss the college experience but I honestly don't feel like I'm missing much.

What should I do?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're still young so there's still time to think about it. But college is definitely going to be important sometime down the road. You need a degree for many high paying jobs, and without those jobs, you can't have a fulfilling life as an adult. I didn't think about starting college until I was mid 20's though, so I understand.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I'm still super young. I mean I did finish a year and a half ahead. I know college is important and I do want to go to college and get a good degree and a good job. Sometimes I just don't think I'm ready right now though. I really want to tell my parents how I feel but I'm not sure how they would take it.

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many freshmen feel this way in the first few weeks of college. Please give it more time, and I think you'll settle in just fine. Once you've been there long enough, you'll meet people, make some friends, and things will look much better to you.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly concur with the above. It's very, very common for new freshmen to feel this way, and especially so if you are used to working online at your own pace.

What you'll find is that on the one hand, classes may go faster or slower than your normal pace online, and this can be frustrating. On the flip side, if you have great professors who engage their students (and, I suppose, depending on the major), you should also be challenged with interesting critical thinking exercises, group or partner activities, and the like.

College, for a traditional college-aged student, is also about the social experience, interacting, cultivating connections, and so forth. This can be pretty uncomfortable if you aren't used to this sort of thing, but it's also exactly the sort of growth opportunity to push yourself outside of your normal behaviors (in a healthy way, please!)

It's ultimately up to you, but one thing to know: about 80% of people who drop out "for a semester" don't end up going back according to a statistic I heard from one of my profs yesterday. I think a lot may eventually go back, but it is much harder to go back than you think because you get engrossed in whatever other activities (work, typically) come your way. So I'd encourage you to stick it out for a semester or two and then re-evaluate how you feel.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well it's been a month so I thought I would give everyone a little update. Things have gotten somewhat better. I do like college for the most part. I haven't really been able to make a lot of friends which is mostly my fault but I'm working on that. Thank you for everyone who posted.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear things are a bit better. I started my first full-time college experience mid-year (January semester) and found it was difficult to make friends, because so many people were already in the groove from having formed friendships in the fall, that people were less focused on that for the spring semester. I think that is something that colleges really don't consider very well.

But... You combat that by joining clubs, showing up at social events, striking up random conversations. It's surprisingly easy if you can stretch yourself just enough to start a conversation with one simple statement. Complimenting someone on something (a comment made in class, piece of clothing, etc), asking about a book they are reading, or their thoughts on a class are great ways,and most people will take up the conversation if you start it. (This spoken by someone who until a few years ago found this super difficult... and discovered that it is really easy once you try.)

I think you will a.so find it a completely different environment in the fall, as so many new students are starting, and looking for friends.

Keep us informed!

8. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really glad you stuck with it.

Chip gave you great advice on meeting people. Joining stuff and keeping busy are the best recipes for navigating the college life. Remember, meeting people is only possible if you are around people. The most social you are, the more people you will meet and more friends you will make. You can do this!

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: