1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mrcake, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Mrcake

Hello all, I have been working full time at my job for 7 months and I make $11 an hour. I currently do not make enough to move out. I graduated from college and should be making ~$18 an hour with my degree but have had a hard time finding employment in my field
    of study. An opportunity to be a manager at work came up which is $14/hr. Should
    I pursue this or keep looking for a job in my field? Thanks

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the type of job. Considering it's a management position that only pays $14/hour, I assume that means it's either in retail or a restaurant. If that's true, then I would continue looking for a job in your field. The reason is because, management in retail/restaurant work is very demanding, and honestly, not worth just 14/hour. I work in a mail room and I get paid $12.36/hour. Even that amount is barely enough for me to move out, and all I do is sit most of the time.

3. Mrcake

Yep it's retail.

4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion, it's not worth it, unless it's for an assistant manager position doing lax work. Examples of lax work: employee scheduling, handling money, writing up damages. It really just depends on if you think it's worth it.

5. Mrcake

Here's my thought process right now. I have talked to a lot of people today about this. $14 an hour is a $3 wage increase, meaning over $100 per paycheck extra. This extra wage could be spent on moving out or saving up more. Also, this would provide me with manager experience - good on a resume and also good in general. Seeing as I'm not 100% happy where I'm working right now, I may as well take on new opportunities. I will continue to apply for food science jobs and continue to be hopeful. It's worth trying out, I can always go back to my position or another similar one again.

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true. I just wonder if they'd make you work a lot of overtime. I've seen so many retail managers be required to work overtime to do returns. If you'd be able to go back to your current job and be able to continue searching for work in your field, then that makes me wonder why you needed advice. XD I figured you asked because you were in some sort of dilemma. If you think you'd enjoy it, then go for it. :slight_smile:

7. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your strategy is sound and you should take the promotion. Promotions look great on resumes and managing others gives you a leadership experience advantage. Leadership experience is one of those intangible qualities that most hiring managers find appealing. Straight people with children have an advantage here because raising children also demonstrates leadership. Management is a way for gay people to show that they too can care for other people and that experience will definitely help level the playing field.

Also, as you look for ways to advance in your carrier, always look for opportunities to lean a skill that employers find valuable as apposed to demonstrating how hard working you are. You can be the hardest working person, staying late folding and sorting shirts for 10 extra hours a week, and I guarantee you will get nothing for all that extra effort. But sell 20% more shirts and they will give you that raise you are asking for. If they don't they are idiots.

One last point, no one ever offers what they think someone is actually worth so they almost certainly believe you are worth more than $14. Most people don't ask for more in these transactions because the employer is likely to be taken aback. But you can counter this by quickly justifying your argument. Go onto Monster and get the average salary for your type of manager in your area. It probably is a lot higher than $14. Tell them you are better than average but you understand that due to your lack of experience you have to prove yourself first so you are willing to take average pay provided by Monster. Have a printout of the statistics in your hand when you say this. They may not give you what you ask for but you are likely to get more than $14.

8. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this. Trust me, I'm a recruiter.

9. Mrcake

O hey I remember you! Thanks for the advice. I'm taking this manager test in 20 mins. I hope it is not bad. Goad to see some of the people I used to see on here still active:icon_bigg

10. Mrcake

I passed!

11. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats! Good luck! :slight_smile:

12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun: