1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does she always look down with a slight smile every time she passes me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by chloeeb, Jan 29, 2017.

1. chloeeb

There is this young woman at work, a year or 2 older than me. We both have a fairly similar dress sense (reason why I notice her lol) and are the more younger ones at work compared to most others. Anyway, we do not work together but see each other around everyday. I have noticed that every time she passes me, from afar she acknowledges me (meaning she sees me), but as she gets closer and passes me, she avoids eye contact and always looks down with a slight smile. She also looks to the side whilst looking down, as if she is looking at my shoes (I do wear quite a few different shoes so not sure if this is why lol). It seems like her facial expression/behaviour is saying 'hey I notice you and I know you notice me'! :/ (I probably send that off myself)

I am not sure if the slight smile whilst looking down is a smile for me but she does not want to look or that it signifies she knows some secret about me or something negative?! I have not been able to tell if she does the same with other workers or not so can't say much on that. I am also not totally convinced that she is overly shy. I am an extremely shy/nervous person but still manage to make quick eye contact and smile at others if necessary. She also chooses to stand fairly close to me when in the same room and she has the option to not (still no eye contact made or conversation started). Why do you all think she does this? I haven't experienced this with anyone else at my workplace!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

Honestly, this isn't much data to go on. For instance, I tend to not look people in the eye at all, ever - it's just a weird quirk of mine. Right now, signs seem to indicate she at least likes you to some degree. But that could be anything from "I think she's nice" to "I'd like to befriend her" to...well, something beyond that. :slight_smile:

I'd say your best bet is to increase the interaction. I realize that you're shy, but you don't have to necessarily march up and ask "So, you into me or what?" :slight_smile: You can just start by saying "hello" next time you see her. If she responds, and you think you can take the next step, say "We keep crossing paths but haven't really been introduced. I'm Chloe." That will at least put you on speaking terms, so you can start saying "hi" each time you pass from there on out. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. chloeeb

Yeah, I do feel that if she wants anything, it wouldn't be anything beyond friendship. I am ok with that - I was just curious about her behaviour - in hope that it wasn't a reaction to something negative.

It would be quite tricky to say hi or smile at her because she avoids eye contact at all cost. But then again, for me to even say hi or smile at people, unless they have first, is a very difficult task - social anxiety!

We'll see what happens. Appreciate your response! :slight_smile: