1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grad school application. How to explain failed courses during a depression?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cory675, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice as I am looking to pursue a master's degree in translation, but on my transcripts, it will show that I flunked out of law school 2 years ago (I failed 3 courses). The reason why is that I was going through a pre-coming out crisis. As many here know, the depression rate for closeted lgbt youth is very high, and around 30-40% of people in the legal profession go through some type of mental health problems at some point in their career. I managed to be a part of both statistics. I had zero capacity to concentrate and felt physically ill before and during exams. I burned out completely.

In September, I started an undergrad certificate in translation, have obtained high grades and feel really in my element in this field. I would like to become a legal translator. However, when I apply for my master's program, it will show only one semester of this, and then the most recent grades will be from my failed courses in law. How do I explain this in my letter of intent? I think it would be a bit much to talk about my burnout/depression, but I also don't want to leave room for them to interpret my failed courses as laziness on my part.

Any ideas?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not tell them exactly what you just told us? The people making decisions understand that the college years are full of these sorts of experiences. You're far from the first to have this issue.

The explanation you gave above is a pretty convincing reason why this was an ongoing problem caused by a major life issue, which you've now come through and resolved. The admissions people should realize that someone who has been through this is unlikely to have future issues, and so it should not count against you.

Another step you could take, if you have a current professor you feel close to, is to share your experience and ask if this prof would feel comfortable writing a recommendation addressing, peripherally, what s/he has seen in your growth.

I don't see this as a big obstacle. It's simply a matter of ensuring they understand why it happened, and how it's been resolved.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could just say that you went through a tough time realizing that law school wasn't for you. It was tough academically and emotionally for you to adjust, since it meant giving up on your hopes and dreams. There are plenty of people who have burned out of law school, med school, PhD programs (myself included), and the like. It's a big adjustment to figure out what to do next. You don't even have to talk about coming out if you don't want to. Not many people are going to probe too much if you just say you came to the realization that law school wasn't for you.

4. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depression is an illness. It is perfectly okay to call it a medical interruption if you're not comfortable with the full explanation.

5. smurf

What everyone said above.

The other piece that is important to keep is to mention the tools that you now have at your disposal if this ever happens again. What tools will you use in the future if you get depressed again? How will you take care of your mental health?

Part of the admission process is "Will this person be a good representative of the institution?"

If you show them that not only did you have depression, but you became a better person because of it or at least learnt a couple lessons, then you are golden. That's what its about. They don't care that you are perfect

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

You had an illness. I very much agree to the mdical interruption thing as the best solution.