1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about cutting my hair

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Chewbaca, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Chewbaca

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm kind of tired of my hair. Everyone always compliments me on how long it is but I'm tired of it. My mom would hate it if I cut it and I would be even more of an embarrassment to the family since I like girls also. I'm kind of scared to just cut it but I also really want to. Any advice?

2. Embi

Embi Guest

My first thought was: do it. I've been unhappy with my really long hair for a long time, but I never had the confidence to cut it shorter (not that short, a bit less than shoulder length). When I finally did, I was so much happier and I even got a lot of compliments I never expected to get.

I don't know how old you are and how short exactly you want to cut it. Maybe find a middle ground first to ease people (and yourself) into it. Or tell your family that your hair is really unhealthy and you want to give it the chance to grow healthy again. Would your family do anything if you cut your hair or would they just say that they don't like it? Because if they just wouldn't like it, do it, it's your hair. You have to like it. If they'd treat you badly, I'd wait until I got older.

3. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say just go for it. Maybe don't start off by cutting it extremely short, maybe just cut it to shoulder lenght or sth. Actually your mum has no right to tell you what to do with your hair. You could try to talk to her before you actually do that. Then she'd be "prepared"....:lol:

4. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do it! I did!

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll admit to smiling seeing that "thinking about cutting my hair" was posted by Chewbaca. :slight_smile:

I'll second the idea of having it cut down to shoulder length or something first. You can always cut more if you decide to.

Lex

6. Really

See if you can find a charity to donate your hair that makes wigs for cancer victims. Maybe check with salons in your area. I'll bet some of them can help you donate.

I can't imagine anyone would begrudge you donating your hair to help cancer patients. If they do, they're heartless.

7. greeneyes

My recommendation would be to go to a wig store and try on the short-haired wigs. If you like the look, go for it!

8. musicenthusiast

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How long have you been thinking about it? I'd say wait a week or two and if you still want to get it cut then go for it! I'm not sure how short you want it, but I got a pixie cut a few years ago and got quite a few compliments and no one ever said anything negative about it. I did feel more pressured to wear more make-up and dress 'pretty' though, but I was also really socially anxious at the time, so it was pressure from myself. I think if it makes you feel good, then that's all that matters.