1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I gotten something wrong?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RavenTheRat, Feb 2, 2017.

1. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I need advice :frowning2: I really want to ask my friend out on a date. I was REALLY nervous, so I asked a couple of my other friends about it, and they all seemed to think that what I was planning to do was strange, because I'm not sure if my friend has mutual feelings for me.

But... isn't that the point of asking? I know that there's a pretty good chance he'll say no, and I'm okay with that. But is it weird to just ask someone out? I mean, what else am I supposed to do? Spy on them until I'm sure they like me, THEN ask them out?

Help me out here, I'm really confused. I've never asked anyone out before so I'm not really sure of the social conventions. Have I gotten something wrong? :help:

#1 RavenTheRat, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess there are two things to look out for when asking somebody out. First off, can you handle the rejection if he says no? You specifically say you can, so that's not an issue. Secondly, will you asking him out affect the friendship at all? Will he be weirded out by it? If you're not sure, it still might be worth giving it a shot.

Lex

3. elliephant

Well, I don't think stalking them would be appropriate haha, but asking them out is a tricky situation, anyone would be nervous! First of all, does he know of your orientation/gender? Is he comfortable with it?
    If he is ok with who you are and the LGBT community, then I would consider it safe in that sense to ask him. However, do keep in mind what Lexington has already mentioned, are you in a safe place for rejection? I would feel him out a little bit before, don't spy, but inquire to his orientation and connection to LGBT related issues. Finding common, comfortable ground on the subject might help you discern his answer a bit more clearly before you ask him.

4. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He's a trans guy himself and has dated another trans guy before :slight_smile:

Okay, I'm going to maybe wait a bit and then just ask him. I can handle rejection, no problem. Thank you both for your advice, I'm very grateful :slight_smile: