1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to see a therapist?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by elliephant, Feb 2, 2017.

1. elliephant

I have been thinking a lot lately, and while I am only out to about 4 people and absolutely no one in my family, I really want to see a therapist. When I discuss my orientation with my friends, I feel like they don't really understand it or me, and they really can't give me much advice on the situation considering they are all heterosexual. While they are supportive I do think that they believe it is just a phase.
    My hope is to talk to a professional, who is unbiased and (hopefully) nonjudgemental of the situation.
    But, how do I tell my parents I want to see a therapist? I do not want them to worry about me (a couple years ago, there was a self harm scare) and I am not ready to tell them I like girls, but I do want to talk to someone about it. Any suggestions on how to broach the subject without coming out would be much appreciated!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might sit down with them and say "I've been thinking about some stuff for some time now. And the more I mull it over, the more I feel I should see a therapist. It's nothing dangerous or anything, but I'd really like to talk to somebody to help sort this stuff out." Your parents will probably want to know what it is that's bothering you - that's just parents being parents. :slight_smile: But you can deflect it by saying, "I have thought about talking to you first, and I appreciate you wanting to help. But I just think talking to an expert on these things first would probably be the better route."

Lex