1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nightowl88, Feb 3, 2017.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my 16th birthday is Wednesday and I am getting my permit. My twin brother is also getting his. The thing is he has been learning to drive for the last 2 years I have never drive before in my life. He is getting really annoying about it because he keeps saying that he gets to drive home after the test and I don't because I don't know how to drive. I am getting tired of it because I know this and had no interest in driving home after the test and he keeps saying in a time that suggests he is better than me as siblings tend to do. He has also been getting so mad about my refusal to ride in the car when he is driving. I have known him for years obviously and he is very impulsive. I have seen him driving our lawnmower and he has actually had a cop talk to him about driving and texting when driving the lawnmower. He is getting so mad about how he's never going to get his hours in if I won't ride with him.
    I am also extremely nervous about driving myself. I am afraid my mom won't let me drive after I start learning because I have a tendency to forget my directions and I have never learned and am afraid she will make me wait until summer. I don't want to wait to long because I need to get my license when my brother does since my parents won't drive us to school on fridays if one of us has our license and I am not riding with him all the way to school and since I'm at my dads house I won't have a way to school otherwise. We both have our own cars and will be getting jobs soon so that's not a worry of ours since has and insurance can be pricey.

2. Really

Do you have a driving program at your school you could sign up for? Or an adult you could ask to teach you who you think would be easygoing enough so that you will be able to work through your nerves?
    Driving isn't so bad. Which part makes you nervous? You can be just as good as anyone else out there and even better if you choose to take advanced driver skills training. Maybe you'll be better than your brother. :slight_smile:

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Early happy birthday!
    Sorry to hear your brother's being annoying about driving. Sibling rivalry is a real thing, especially if you're both about to be 16. It's totally normal to be nervous about learning to drive, dude. You weren't born knowing how to do it - the only way to learn is to take the course (or have an adult teach you) and do your best. I guarantee you'll be fine. There are a ton of crappy drivers out there - there's no way you can be worse than some of the folks I see driving.

As for riding with your brother, if you truly feel unsafe riding with him then don't carpool with him, but I doubt your brother would seriously risk both of your lives while driving. He might try and scare you a little bit to get a reaction out of you (my brothers did the same thing), but just take a deep breath and relax. Everything'll be okay.