1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Psychology of Coming Out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by daughtry, Feb 3, 2017.

1. daughtry

daughtry Guest

I'm curious as to why some people realize they're gay in adolescence whereas other people take much longer? It seems like societal pressure to be straight plays a big role, but there are a lot of people on EC who have talked about being raised in very homophobic families and yet they still realized they were gay when they were relatively young. I just wonder why it is that some people come to the realization in that environment while other people are unable to acknowledge it.

2. YeahpIdk

Heteronormative culture. Subconscious fear and/or shame.

I think heteronormativity plays a huge role.

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realized at a young age (11-12ish) but repressed hard due to societal pressure to be straight and knowing that it was "wrong". Even though I "knew" I refused to accept it for a long time and just hoped that I would develop feelings for women eventually. I basically repressed for 15 years before accepting myself and coming out.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realized around age 15 that I was somewhere on the Kinsey scale other than 0, but denied and fought it for a long time because I was so worried about being ostracized and hated for it. It took another 10 years before I realized I couldn't fight it anymore, but still wasn't sure just where I fell on the spectrum. Once I quit fighting the fact that I was attracted to guys and just let myself feel attracted, well, the rest was history, and you can look at my orientation to see where I am now.