1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First date? Lunch. Need advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TanMan, Feb 3, 2017.

1. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone! So for the past month or so, I have started and signed myself up on several dating sites. A couple days ago I messaged someone and we have been talking since. He really wants to meet up and have lunch, and I told him I'm free the next couple days. I haven't responded yet with what day, but it will most likely be this week.

Here's the problem. I don't know if I am attracted to him. He's like a year or two older than me (I'm turning 23 next month and he's 24). I really don't know how far something like this will work, but you never know. Maybe after a couple dates, and if it does work out, is it possible to find them attractive? I have never been on a date before, but could this maybe be a start, and get myself out there and used to it? When I say "get myself out there," I don't mean sex. Its just that I'm a shy, introverted person, and maybe it can be good for me to test the waters, etc.

Can anyone give me any feedback? I'm very nervous about this, and don't know if I should just back out or what.

Thanks

2. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there,

From my own experience with online dating there are people whom i know I am attracted to right away (physically), but become unattractive to me when I meet them in person (personality). Or not attracted to them physically, or just not my type, but then meet them and become attracted to them, and then become my type.

After an end of a relationship , my friend gave me the advice of putting myself out there and just going on dates. So far, most of the dates I have been on was a one and done. Only one turned into a friendship thing, which is nice. You don't owe anyone anything, and as long as you feel safe and comfortable to meet them, there really isn't any harm in just testing the waters. Even if things don't work out romantically, you can probably gain a friend from it.

The more dates you go on, the more comfortable you get going on them. There must have been something about this person that interested you enough to message them. If the person isn't giving you any alarm bells like you shouldn't meet them, I wouldn't miss an opportunity.

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is how I feel too.

Tanman, you may find you are attracted to him after meeting him. A lot of the time I'm not really attracted to someone until I know their personality. If things don't work out you might make a friend, or at the least it will be a learning experience.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few years ago I was in your shoes: newly out, with little dating experience and no idea what to do. I signed up for a dating site to try and put myself out there, figuring I could maybe get a couple dates under my belt just to get the experience. I'd messaged a few guys here and there, and one of them I went back and forth with quite a bit. He wasn't necessarily my type and I was concerned because he was a few years older than me, but I figured what the hell. We were talking about restaurants and I asked him if he wanted to get tacos at this place in my neighborhood that I loved and he'd never been to. He said yes.

During that first date I was mostly just trying not to fuck up. It certainly wasn't love at first sight, but I definitely felt like it was going well and I enjoyed his company. We agreed to a second date and gave each other a quick goodbye kiss at the end. That's when I felt the sparks fly.

Long story short, May 1 will be our 3-year anniversary.

Bottom line: go for it.

#4 SemiCharmedLife, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey TanMan,

You've already received some great advice on this thread. For my part, I would echo some of what Sawyer said and just say to simply give him a chance.

Definitely don't back out! What is the worst that can happen? That the two of you don't 'connect' when you meet in person? That you make a fool of yourself? That the lunch date is awkward?

When dating, if you don't take a risk with being unsatisfied, embarrassed, etc, you will never get anywhere. (And that's especially true when you are dating someone that you've never met face-to-face before the first date.) In my opinion, the best way to look at dates such as you are describing is that they are an adventure and you have nothing to lose, but (hopefully) everything to gain. Just be yourself on your date. If things 'click' then GREAT! If not, so what? You can always take away lessons-learned from each date so that the next date (whether it is with him or with someone else) might go more smoothly/be less awkward, at least from your point of view.

Just some thoughts.:slight_smile:

6. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You already gotten some great advice. I wanted to respond to the shy part. I have always been overly shy to an extreme. The one thing that really helped me was taking a public speaking class. It won't help for this date, but will do wonders for the future. Just remember this guy has never met you irl right? So he doesn't know you are shy. Pretty much like the old saying 'smile until you believe it', you can put on the air of confidence in yourself until you believe it.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely go. Maybe have an (internal) list of questions to ask when the conversation runs down. Where did he grow up? What's he like about his work? What's his favorite (or least favorite) movie? These topics can be chatted about at length, and you'll get a better sense for whether you mesh at all.

Lex

8. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all so much for the responses. I have taken everything to heart, and I will defintaely try this out. I'm just so dang nervous, because I always find myself running out of things to say. We have decided to meet for lunch this coming Monday, but still haven't decided a time. I'm just going to try and be myself. Ever since coming out to myself, I still feel a little awkward around people because it's like I'm still hiding (haven't come out publicly yet). But since it's just two gay guys (lol) I can finally be myself. While I'm so nervous, and so looking forward to this :slight_smile:

9. Physicsjock

Even if you don't end up with a boyfriend, you may end up with a boy friend.

10. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As for running out of things to say: it happens in every date, but the conversation quickly picks back up, even though it may seem like an eternity :slight_smile:

I am excited for you, and it is okay to be nervous. He is probably just as nervous as you!

(*hug*)

11. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So we have decided on a place to go, and we are going out to lunch tomorrow. I am so nervous, I hope I don't say the wrong things, or hopefully nothing at all lol. This is my first day ever with a guy (with anyone in fact... besides high schools dances like prom, etc with girls). Wish me luck :slight_smile:

I'll keep everyone updated when I get back if your interested.

12. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't be nervous, just be yourself! Good Luck kid!
    Dean

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pauses in a conversation are totally normal. Don't feel the need to rush in to fill the emptiness. Take your time to figure out what you might want to talk about next. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my first date was a success... I think. We haven't talked since we left, but we were talking during about a possible second date.

Being "newly out" I tried to just be myself. But I'm definitely proud of myself for not caring what others think. It was pretty busy where we went, and I didn't even worry about what others may have been thinking, or even if they were staring. I'm really proud of myself.

#14 TanMan, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  15. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congrats on a Success!

Just being able to say you didn't worry about what others may have thought is a BIG accomplishment. You should feel Great!

16. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am glad your first date went well!

17. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone! So I have some good news. We decided to go on a second date yesterday, and as usual it went good. While we haven't exchanged numbers yet (contacting through the dating app), it seems to be going at a slow to steady speed. He messaged me a couple hours after the date and was asking if I wanted to hang out again, as well as hanging out with him and his friend group sometime. For me personally, I am kind of shy and have trouble coming up with conversations and things to say. So I'm really worried about this because sometimes I can come off as socially awkward.

HOWEVER, I really don't know what I am doing. For example, I don't know if this is something that I want to continue to do. He is an attractive guy, but I just don't know if I am physically attracted to him because of one thing... its almost like a deal breaker to me, and I know it shouldn't... I am almost 10 inches taller than him in height.

Technically, I guess you can say that him and I are dating (not officially BF's), but this will be my first ever relationship. Is it normal to feel like that? or should I give it more time and see if physical feelings start to develop? Hes a great guy and super charming, but that height is like a deal breaker for me.

Thanks all.

18. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi TanMan,

I think you should stop trying to "force" this to become a relationship. It either will or it won't. He's offering you friendship and possibly a group of friends to become part of their friend group. Will you mesh well with this group and become part of the group? I don't know, and you won't either until you try.

At the very least, even if you don't end up being attracted to him enough to date him, you will be increasing your circle of friendships. I think you should go for it whether or not you end up in a relationship with him.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

19. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great advice^^^

20. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the advice. I'm just so new at this (dating), and I'm overthinking. I do like him, so I will see how things go. Worst thing worst, we stop talking.