1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do??

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jenne, Feb 4, 2017.

1. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! For one more time I need your advices..
    I have a really hard time meeting people from the lgbt community.. I'm soo in the closet no one knows about me and I just want to meet people like me I think it would be good for me... I live in a small city so it's not that easy... There are some parties though with lgbt people and I would like to go some time but when I decided that I don't want to go...the reason is that I'm alone and I don't know it feels weird to go there all alone without knowing anyone.. And being already an introverted person doesn't help..
    What should I do?:\

2. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have the exact same issue you mention. There are no LGBT meetup groups here and I have always been a very shy introvert. But even small cities may have a local gay bar. See first if they do.

I don't do bars/clubs - anxiety over crowds. Here's what I did - I googled gay bars in my area. Then I used my social media to look up their page or hashtags about them. Then I just randomly started pm people I thought were interesting. I actually made friends with a gay man who seems to manage all the LGBT pages in my area. He has helped me get more info on the goings on in my area. Then several of the women I messaged responded back saying they agreed there weren't any places except for our one bar for people to meet. Some made suggestions to start a page for LGBT parents - so with the help of the first guy mentioned, I did.

I also used a well known 'dating site' where you can specify friends only and msg for free. About 90% do not read the friend part and respond thinking there would more. I always respond nicely and explain 'friends only'. From doing all the above, I have met several women who I talk with through pm/page often.

As I am still married and not out on my own, I have only met one of the women in real life. We are becoming really good friends as she lived similar to me - married then accepted and divorced when she came out. She has helped me a lot being able to actually talk to someone in person that has already gone through everything I am doing now.

For me I am not so introverted online or through writing via email/pm, so that is a plus. You have to start somewhere though and that seemed to be my only option as we don't have much around here in this small town. So far, so good.

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2017 at 06:26 PM ----------

Adding - for the parties, do any of your friends know you are lesbian?
    If so, maybe you could talk a straight friend to be your wing man and go with you. I know when I was young in my 20's and still closeted, I had gay friends that I would go with them just to be there for them. Granted maybe my reason for going was because I was lesbian just hadn't acknowledged that part yet because I was in denial.