1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTSD: trigger unavoidable, please answer quickly

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by anthracite, Feb 7, 2017.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

How do you ensure a trigger doesn't turn into a flashback? Please don't recommend substances of any kind, I will have to drive and I don't use or drink and drive.

2. Really

Does it have to do with the drive? Could you listen to some music you could sing aloud to to be distracted from the issue? Or a humourous podcast?

3. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Anthracite, This past winter I drempt about an accident that happened when I was 11 years old. Something which has not happened for a long time. After the accident it happened almost every night. Not sure what triggered it this time? All I can tell you, for the most part it got better with time.
    Dean

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something best addressed with a therapist. There are many effective treatments to desensitize triggers. One of the most effective is EMDR. Some cognitive strategies can also be very effective.

5. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Chip, Please explain EMDR please.
    Thank you
    Dean

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Thank you all. Sadly I couldn't view the tread due to an update here. I managed to weaken the trigger. There was just a few pictures and the feelings of that incident. Fight and flight. I stayed in reality and didn't do anything. Just layed there shaking. But I don't think someone noticed. Which is a good outcome all in all.