1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I pick my job or me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sarkzar, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Sarkzar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For some background info, I'm lucky enough to be living at home with my parents and not in a situation where I depend on my job to survive, and since I start college full time this fall I plan on stepping down from my current position sometime this summer regardless.

I work retail at my local mall, making slightly more than minimum wage. I enjoyed my position as a basic sales associate, but when our store was short on management my boss offered to promote me. It's not that my new job is difficult, but it requires a good bit of my time (9 to 6 on the days that I'm there) that quite frankly I'd rather be spending on myself. I've only just recently shaken off some serious personal issues of my own and I'm excited by the progress I'm making, and I'm worried that constantly stressing over going to work will get in the way of that.

Honestly I'd really like to quit, I really would, but since I'm rather inexperienced life-wise I figured I'd get other people's opinions. I'd much rather focus on my school and artwork, start eating healthier, and hopefully start an exercise routine of some sort. It's been YEARS since I've been happy with who I am, and I would gladly give up the extra cash to be able to work on myself. If anything losing the source of extra income would force me to be more careful about my spending (something I'm pretty bad at right now). Since I'm lucky enough to have my parents providing for me for now, should I take the opportunity to better myself before starting college full time?

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you have any ongoing expenses you'd need to have a job for? Like i have a car payment and health insurance to pay for as well as my own groceries even though i live at home. Considering what you said about the personal issues, i at least wouldn't accept the promotion offer. More stress and work at a potentially vulnerable time could end badly, at least with me that's what always happens.