1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't feel anything

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by codysmith, Feb 16, 2017.

1. codysmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Life just seems so different now. I'm not happy but I'm not sad, life isn't boring but it's not interesting either. I'm always annoyed with people and I sometimes just feel like just sleeping everything away or completely shutting down so I don't have to deal with things. I honestly don't know what any of this means, like i don't think I'm depressed because I'm not sad, but I'm not happy either. Ever since my panic attack, days have just been sort of running into each other and I can't really distinguish what happened when anymore.

2. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi CodySmith,

I am not saying you are depressed but depression isn't always about being sad. It can be a general emotional numbness, lack of interest in everything, a sort of 'colorlessness' about life where once there was vibrant color everything now seems just grey and blah. Wanting to sleep a lot, increased irritablity, being annoyed by small things can also be signs. You mention a panic attack, and anxiety and depression are often closely intertwined.

I would visit a mental health provider for a screening for depression. He or she should be able to give you some clarity, rule out depression if that isn't what's going on, and offer options if you may be struggling with depression. And as a side note, depression is a treatable illness...many effective treatments are available.

I hope this is helpful. All the best to you!

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Moonsparkle.

I am bipolar, so have dealt with the highs as well as the lows. When I'm at a low (depressed), I just have the general "meh" feeling about everything. I don't care how I look, I don't care what I do, I just sort of let life's waves throw me about, if that makes sense?

I agree that you should speak to a mental health professional about this. I hope you feel better soon though. We're all here for you if you need to talk (*hug*)

4. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you aren't growing, you're dying. Tony Robbins said that or perhaps he was quoting someone. I take that to mean in life you can get stuck in a vicious cycle of apathy which leads to inaction which leads to more apathy. Or you can be in a virtuous cycle where action leads to growth which leads to more action. We can create action through our words. Words can shape the world we live in. That sounds like a platitude, but I want to be real and honest. When I get stuck in a vicious cycle, then I usually have two sticks of "dynamite" that I would use to create action on my part. The goal is to create sustainable energy which motivates us to continue living well. The first stick of dynamite I would use is laughter. Eliminate distractions and laugh your ass off. Watch a comedy special without looking at your phone and drop any cynicism you may have. Fully engage yourself into laughter for a good hour. Laugh until it hurts. Once you have done that, then you should try to examine your problems. The second stick of dynamite I use is cold showers. I just jump in face first and stay in as long as I can bear. My record is two minutes but usually it is less than thirty seconds. After that I will lather up with the water off and rinse off with cold water again. In order for me to be happy, i need to avoid social media and have a clean house. I just learned this about myself. Victory is close it just never seems that way. These are just ideas. If you happen to try one, please let me know if it works for you.