1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't feel creative

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jon99, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Jon99

And it's killing me, I want to write a short story, and I've developed a recent interest in painting/drawing, but every time I get to typing, something inside my mind discourages me saying things like "You'll never be good at this" or "You're painting and drawing skills will always suck". I also feel jealousy to creative artists/animators I see on YouTube, I mean I like them and all, it's just that I see them do their thing, I think to myself "Why can't I express my creativity like these guys?". It's like my mind is a gutter full of vapid thoughts, I don't know what to do honestly.

2. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a writer myself, and I totally get what you mean about having negative thoughts. I know it's easier said than done, but you've just got to push past them and keep going. Have you heard this quote by Ira Glass? It really helped me when I was down about my writing skills, and you can apply it to art too:

'Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.'

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2017 at 09:54 PM ----------

I'm also happy to read your short story if you want to post it on my wall when you're done! :slight_smile:

3. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A script to stick to can help, with questions like what kind of world is it. I think I had one but I cant seem to find it.

It had like characters, age, name, hobbies, personality,

World, etc. etc. its fun to just fill it in and build from there. Maybe it can help ?

I would love to read it to ! Whenever I do not feel creative I just start typing. I am typing now, I could go on....thinking about a basketball...dont know why...not much story to that. Unless it came to life....now I feel sorry for the basketball being dribbled

; )

4. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With a lot of things in my life, I've learned not to judge myself too harshly, even if I am my main and biggest critic at the same time.

I avoid comparing myself to anyone, which allows me to do my own thing and not feel like it doesn't match or measure up. And I try my best to just let the ideas flow out of me. With drawing, this can be done best my letting your arm and hand scribble about where you think the different objects, characters, and scenery are supposed to be in your image: essentially it's a loose-sketch or free-flow sketch. With writing, the same thing can be achieved by just dumping your mind out onto a page in the form of a continuous paragraph, or a list, containing everything that pops into your head related to the main idea or story you want to explore.

Once you have your ideas out in a rough form, then you can worry about refining it and making it into what you really want.

Also, I love what IceCream put above. I never quite thought about things that way, but that quote is right. In my case, my art had no real style or substance until I had put upwards of 3-4 years into it. And even then, I spent a number of years away from drawing or painting before I decided to return during my college years, only then did my art start to look as it does now. And now I believe it really does have a style, and one that reflects who I am and what I like.

#4 MisterMissy, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017