1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patriarchy enforcement from women

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hats, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anyone else wonder why there is so little acknowledgement from feminists that women promote and maintain the patriarchy? I’m not saying this because I think it’s unfair for men or in order to shift the blame; after all I’m not a men’s rights activist and nor do I agree with their point of view. But I think it hurts the cause of feminism to regard men as the sole responsible party when that is quite obviously not the case. I’ve witnessed sexisim in both directions, and policing of cisnormativity and heteronormativity, by women. Obviously I’ve seen it from men, too, but simply stopping men from doing that won’t solve the problem, in my view. It’s something I feel we all have to work on if we want to succeed.

I'm open to correction if this view is wrong, by the way. :slight_smile:

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mum is patriarchal and slightly misogynistic.

You can be black and hate your own race.

You can be gay and a homophobe (it is the case quite often)

Just because you are or have friends from a certain group, does NOT mean you cannot act hatefully or discriminate that said group.

3. Iliricon

A lot of women I know promote the patriarchy in a million ways. I think some feminists do not acknowledge this because it either

a) makes their arguments simpler, since painting men as the sole perpetrators is an easier explanation
    b) they believe that women who perpetrate the patriarchy are still victims themselves, as men remain the profiting

I tend to agree with the second sentiment. Women how enforce sexism are still hurting themselves. And most who do basically misunderstand feminism. i had to explain to my brother's girlfriend that feminism does not mean that she cant be a stay at home mom. It just means that she doesn't have to and that I can also be a stay at home dad. She is now (after some more discussions) a vocal feminist ;-)

What I really hate is heteronormativity from women... That just makes me incredibly angry, like rejecting bi guys because they might be too gay.