1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet ups advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CL1990, Feb 21, 2017.

1. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi guys,

so the thing is I am pretty much in the closet with the exception of my mom and therapists. I have tried different things to work with my internalized homophobia (support group, speed dating event) and now there is this meet up happening tonight at a lesbian only bar I know. I have been there before when I went speed dating and, even though, I feel that speed dating was very intimidating until I got there, I am feeling incredibly nervous as I don't know what to expect...any advice???thanks!!!xxx

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a great way to make yourself vulnerable and take a risk! of course your nervous. Who would not be? Just push yourself to go and see how it turns out.

In this type of situation, I often would pretend that I am a race horse. The gates open, I have blinders on my eyes. I can only see directly in front of me. I can not see behind and I can not see from the sides, so I have no idea what is coming at me. But I stay focused on the objective of getting to the finish line. in this instance, the finish line is attending the meet up, participating and taking a risk.

Have fun!

3. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hahah that is a great way to put it!! thank you very much for your advice!

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be honest. "I've never done this sort of thing, and I'm kind of nervous. But I'm excited to see what this is like." :slight_smile:

Lex