1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will my church take it?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DreamonRose, Feb 26, 2017.

1. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I kind of grew up with this church everyone held me as a baby and took care of me and changed my diapers. Everyone knows and loves me because they are like my family..I can't let them go because I am gay so um how do think this should work. People are going to be looking for me to get married and have kids and bring them to the church because everyone loves everyone. So um how do you think this will turn out like something realistic.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That depend on a lot, such as the church's denomination, leadership, and policies regarding LGBT people. You could check their mission statement and review whether there have been any anti-gay sermons to get a feel for the reaction.

If I were you, however, I'd focus on coming out to people you are close to first. There probably won't be a necessity to come out to your whole church, but gradually you could let some families you believe will be supportive know.

Realistically, there is a high probability of condemnation, so please be careful. Especially if you are of a fundamentalist denomination (such as Baptist). That said, I have seen exceptions and honestly it really depends on who it is. People will surprise you sometimes. I once new a devout Catholic family that wholeheartedly accepted their lesbian daughter and they were awesome, loving people. You never know.

It is sad when a people that professes to "love everyone" does the exact opposite. However, there are other more open denominations that accept LGBT people and align with Jesus' teachings, contrary to what conservative purists will have you believe.

3. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to talk to the pastor and ask how the church feels about gay people but be subtle so he doesnt think it is me.