1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't make a decision

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by musicenthusiast, Mar 1, 2017.

1. musicenthusiast

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm really stuck on what to do. I have two interviews tomorrow for internships, both with the same company. It's a pretty big company and would give me great experience. It's partnered with my university and will count towards my university degree if I get accepted. The thing is I don't even know if it's something that I want to do. It's pretty much full time intern work, unpaid. I know when I have too much on my plate I get overwhelmed really easily and I would be working another weekend job along side it. I just am having a difficult time trying to work out, if experience which will gain me networking opportunities and a possible job offer at the end or my mental health is more important. And I absolutely hate interviews and get really anxious. Any advice?

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does your university have a job center, or something similar? Mine did - to help you find internships and post-graduation jobs, but they also would help you practice writing resumes and doing interviews. Does your college have something like this that you can try?

Regarding the decision, that's all up to you. If it were me, i would try it and then see how it goes. The experience would be worth it to find a job post-graduation in your field, but on the other hand idk if you end up quitting it due to over-working yourself how a future employer would look upon that. Some if your honest might be understanding. Perhaps your school has a counselor you can see to build up stress handling skills.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You say it will count towards your university degree. Would you say it would greatly help in this regard? Or is it something more akin to a shortcut - nice but not really necessary?

Lex

4. musicenthusiast

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It would get me 40 credit points, which is equivalent to taking 4 electives. It won't help me finish any earlier but it might put me ahead of other people graduating, who don't complete an internship, when finding employment.

---------- Post added 2nd Mar 2017 at 09:40 AM ----------

Yeah I think my uni has those sort of support services. I definitely need to work on my interview skills. I've always been a bit scared to go in and talk to anyone though. That's a good idea to try work on my stress levels, they get to a point where I just can't manage and I end up avoiding or quitting things. Still not sure what I should do, but thanks for the advice!

#4 musicenthusiast, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. musicenthusiast

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've decided I won't take the opportunity, I don't think I'm ready to take on such a big work load. It'll give me more time to work on myself and I'll be better prepared for the next opportunity that presents itself. Thank you both!