1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding Support as a Trans and Queer Identifying Student in College

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SoftDusk, Mar 3, 2017.

1. SoftDusk

Hi!

I'm starting college next year in the US and I wanted to ask some advice from college students or graduates what's some advice to help my transition in college be less stress inducing for a trans and queer student?

I'm scared I'm going to make no friends in college, and I'm wondering what kind of support systems are available on campuses. Or what to do in the instance I am faced with homophobia or transphobia in a classroom or on campus.

Please feel free to share personal experiences if you feel comfortable to do so! Thanks for all your help and listening!

2. yuanzi

Not sure I have answers to all your questions (college/a new environment can be stressful for many non-lgbt related reasons) but as far as the lgbt environment goes, I think it depends on what kind of college you attend.

I have attended two different universities in the US (both on the east coast and both have a 15,000-20,000 student population) and I have never encountered open homophobia or transphobia. I feel like overall everyone is so busy with their own stuff and people really cannot care less about others' gender/sexuality/etc.

Both of my universities have lgbtq resource centers and they give students very useful info such as lgbtq related support groups, gatherings, legal/campus wide protections, medical insurance and many more. In my current university, there are also a good number of social gatherings. For example, we have a monthly lgbt social for grad students (I am a grad student) and many weekly socials for some of the lgbt subgroups such as the stem student group, the law school student group etc.

You can do a search on lgbtq related resources in your future college just to get a sense. It is likely to vary depending on the university but hopefully there will be something.

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes the short answer is that a college campus is about the best place for you to be. There will be resources, people, events, all sorts of stuff. Take advantage of all of them while you can, so that when you sail off out of school, you will be stronger.