1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long is normal?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This will be a short post because it's late at night and I'm tired. I've always wondered, how much crying is normal and how long is healthy? I've spent roughly 35 minutes crying tonight and I did time it, only for today :lol: But normally I would probably 3 or 4 times per week, usually around 35 minutes (a little less or more) like tonight. So yeah, how much is normal? I'm 17 this year by the way, I'm not sure if my age makes any difference.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there is a 'normal' in that there's a pretty broad range. Can you share what motivates the crying?

3. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As Chip stated, the reason you cry does matter. Some people are just naturally more sensitive, and cry whenever they're excited, happy, mildly sad, annoyed, etc. However, I think crying as much as 35 minutes on end, this frequently, is not entirely okay. Shedding a tear every now and then is understandable, but this seems too much.

I remember only crying for more than 10 minutes after watching the Hachiko movie and reading a very sad book. Otherwise, I'm quite prone to crying at some movies, but it barely lasts for a few minutes. On average, I end up crying once every two weeks, and I consider myself quite sensitive.

I don't mean to scare you, but there's got to be an underlying issue (not necessarily serious, it might be a variety of things related to adolescence and whatnot) for crying as much.