1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recoverying from an eating disorder on my own

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Amdukias, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Amdukias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm struggling with an eating disorder since I'm 12-14 years old (the first two years weren't that harsh cause I've got other selfdestruction-mechanism) and am officially diagnosed with Bulimia Nervosa (times of overly-obsessed restrictions followed by times of totally out of control binging and purging) and Exercise Addiction. Since November 2016 I decided to recover. At first it felt pretty easy and I'm sure I've made some lasting progress, but since February I relapsed twice and don't feel like I'm even on the 'right track'. I know recoverying without any familiar/professional help (I'm in therapy but my therapist isn't an expert; I won't tell my family about my disorder cause they can't help me too) is pretty hard - even impossible, some say - and will take years. But anyways, I know it's worth it. So I decided to ask if anyone around here may recovered from an ED and what helped them with that?
    thanks to everyone :slight_smile:

P.S.: There is no need to gain/lose weight in my case.

2. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had one from 11 to 13 and I had Anorexia Nervosa. I stopped but it made me cut more and I am guessing you don't do that so that doesn't matter. I don't think talking it out helps anyone. You have to wan't to stop if you are not ready then you will keep relapsing. I want you to stop because I had short term Bulimia and it was really bad and painful. You just need to get it in your head that you don't want to do that..Sorry if I am wasting your time.

3. Amdukias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad to hear you're better now, even if I'm sorry about the cutting. To be honest I struggled with selfharming before I developed my eating disorder and even if I'm clean since years by now I think it would just switch from one selfdestructing behavior to another (like it did before). What you tell me is right and you're not wasting anyones time sweetheart but problem is (as you may know from yourself) everyone got their bad days when no positive goal makes sense. Like what helps you to keep on track for example?

4. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me, I have had people in my life die from not being helped and just tiring themselves out with eating disorders and depression and their bodies just gave out. I think of my hopes..I wan't to be an Anesthesiologist and adopt 2 kids with a beautiful woman. There is alot of things I haven't tried yet and I don't wan't to risk it not being able to happen. I don't know if gay heaven is a thing but I don't wan't to get trapped in the hetero one and not get to live my life. I am sure what you wan't in life but ED's are more serious and life threatening then you may see. One friend had kidney failure from Bulimia. I actually had stomach ulcers (what they call them) in my esophagus because of stomach acid that is why my Bulimia was cut short. You are 18 and I would hate to think you could cause enough damage to end it all. OMG I am so off track..When you ask one question and get a life story. My thing is I wan't to experience alot. I want to go to all 50 states and go on a first date. I almost lost my life to cutting. I cut a vein and was bleeding alot. They called 911 and they had to stitch me up. I passed out and woke up when they were moving me to my room in the mental hospital..It was actually quite peaceful there but still it was scary.

5. Amdukias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Future planning/Hopes is a pretty good idea so far, thank you for bringing this up. It will be lots easier to do many things when you're healthy.
    I'm not living in an illusion at all, don't worry. I've seen what damage EDs can do (a good friend of mine will ever be dependent on other peole and I for myself suffer from chronical gastritis). The thing I mostly struggle with is recognizing when my ED sneaks back in form of "healthy eating" or similiar diet ideas.
    And it's pretty okay, may it's also part of the whole thing :slight_smile:

6. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me I usually relapse with cutting especially when something bad happens. If you are having an off day you need to catch the feeling early so you can stop yourself.