1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

detatch your feelings for a straight crush

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CL1990, Mar 8, 2017.

1. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    any advice on this would be appreciated greatly! I have a hard time doing so...

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a few things you could try.

Coming out to them, if possible - this helps you see more concretely what they would think of you as being LGBT, which means you don't have to deal with everything in terms of "what ifs."

If you feel like you can't come out to them, or that they wouldn't be accepting of you, try to come to terms with this - if they aren't the kind of person you would normally trust, then any sort of dating/relationship or otherwise fulfilling your crush is probably out of the question.

Try to meet more LGBT folks. If you're crushing on a straight person and simply don't know any LGBT people, you may find that your (presumably unrequited) feelings for straight people start to diminish when you meet people that you might conceptually be able to date.

Hope some/all of this helps!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The three things that help you get over a crush are time, distance and other things to focus on. Time sort of takes care of itself, so work on the other two. If you can increase the distance between you two, that often helps. If you're out to the woman, you can usually say something along the lines of "I've noticed I've started getting some feelings for you that I know aren't returned. So I'm going to sort of give myself some space for a while so I can get my head back into the right spot." Most people are pretty understanding about this sort of thing, and appreciate you taking an active step in preserving the friendship.

Focusing on other things. Definitely reach out to other LGBTQ groups if you have them. But if that's not really an option, stay busy with your friends (not including the crush) and other activities.

It's a process, not something that sort of magically happens. So stick with it. :slight_smile:

Lex