1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping strategies for rejection?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ConnectedToWall, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was recently rejected both by the girl I was crushing on and by the college I wanted to go to.
    Long story short, I feel like a useless piece of unicorn shit right now.
    :roflmao: :tears:

I'm just sort of left like, what now?

:help:

Also, I feel like I must have somehow overlooked how terrible of a person I am.

2. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh! That is a hard thing to cope with all at once!

I would say first of all I would say let yourself feel all your feelings right now, get mad, sad, whatever you feel is okay--just feel it because that will put you on the path to moving on from this. Express yourself (and doing that here on EC counts, so I am glad you posted here!)

And then keep this in mind. Rejection (from anyone/thing) is NO indication of your worth as a person. None. Though it can sure feel like it, leading us to ask ourselves questions such as 'maybe I've overlooked what a terrible person I am?' Expressing our feelings to a crush, applying to a college...both carry some risk, both make us vulnerable...it may not work out the way we want. And it sucks when it doesn't but it DOESN'T amount to you being a 'terrible person'.

I've been rejected (we all have and its never easy to cope with!). I've also been the 'rejector'. Just kind of the way life is. And sometimes things work out exactly the way we want them to. So try to remember this too!

And just as a reminder--the girl you were crushing on is not the only girl in the universe, the college you applied to is not the only college in the world! You will get through this! :slight_smile:

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if the people who rejected you did truly defined you as a "terrible person" by doing so then that must make them some kind of all knowing God or something. Or maybe they just have alternative motives for rejecting you. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. So view this as a lucky break that you didn't hitch your wagon to a really bad deal and move on to the next adventure.

#3 Monraffe, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017