1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complicated situation with a random guy I like; next step to take?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RokoLocko334, Mar 21, 2017.

1. RokoLocko334

I don't think it's as complicated as I'm making it out to be, but here goes:

Went to a restaurant and there was a guy who works there I was interested in. We talked briefly a couple of times I was there, totally got a gay vibe. Went on ****** to see if there was any chance he would be on there, and sure enough saw that he was. Next time I went to the place, I was nervous and just left my number with him as I left without addressing what I wanted out of it (to get to know him and take it from there). Few days later I got nothing. I decide to say **** it and got his snapchat (which I got off of ****** when I saw he was on there) letting him know who I was and that I was looking to take him out sometime. He told me he was flattered, but was not looking for a relationship or a fling as he had some recent bad experiences, but then he offered to hang out as friends. I said I was cool with that and we chatted a bit, but I noticed I was asking more of the questions than he was, but he was replying. I finally asked him if there is any day or time he would like to chill. He ignored me. I messaged him a couple of days later without bringing it up, making more small talk, and he chatted a little, then ignored me again.

I knew I got the hint that he wasn't interested anymore, so I just let it be. Until a week later I sent a random snap of something to a bunch of people on my friends list and it included him. He then replied to it and we were talking again. I helped him out with something he was looking for advice on, then we talked about concerts. He said he'd love to attend this future show I was going to with me if I was able to get tickets. I thought cool. As much as I knew we weren't going to be beyond friends for now, I had this crazy idea in my head that some of the best relationships can come from developing friendships first, and it would be the perfect opportunity to get to know him. Over the next couple of days we talked about stuff and then today I finally asked him again if he would like to meet up sometime as I wouldn't want to first go to a concert as complete strangers. He then started to flake again and told me about his hectic work schedule. I told him I would leave it up to him and we haven't talked since. (a couple of days ago)

So here's the summary in a nutshell. I like this guy, he's not looking for anything serious or fun, but would like a friendship. I take up on that offer and he doesn't put in the effort. It's confusing as hell. I see a lot of things this could mean...

-He was never interested in the first place and thought he'd let me down easy assuming I only wanted to mess around with him.

-He is just not ready to bring up this random friendship to the next level and needs more time for things to develop.

-He's legitimately busy as he is in the restaurant business after all.

I'm honestly surprised I had the confidence to try to keep this going. I have a lot of anxiety with this stuff, and I'm not one to try to be confrontational nor come off as clingy (at least from my perspective lol). I don't want to mess this up either. He seems like a cool guy, but on the other hand, maybe there's a good reason why he's not really being as responsive as I'd like. Thank you for reading and I'd appreciate any advice on what I could do. I'm presuming taking a step back would be the best thing, but would like to hear multiple opinions.

#1 RokoLocko334, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In my opinion he is not interested in you in any way. To me the way he asked about the concert made me feel that the tickets are in short supply and he just wants to go to the concert.

Delete his number and move on.

3. mlansing

A hearty congrats for giving it your best shot with this guy, but it sounds like he's just plain not interested :frowning2: I would let him go and apply the same things you did with him to someone who will reciprocate.

4. RokoLocko334

Thanks. Yea I'm realizing that this is the case. What annoys me is that he'd continue to reply to me, which always gives people some hope that something could happen, but people just like the attention sometimes.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because you saw him on the app does not mean he is embraced whom he is. Sounds like he might be still confused and not sure of himself. I think this says more about him than it does of you.

6. smurf

Eh, I really think you are just confusing people being nice to being interested.

He was incredibly forward with you as to what could and could not happen. You having the thought of being friends then maybe in the distant future a couple is a bit much when you think about it.

He might have been interested in trying a friendship, but not interested enough to go out of his way for it. And that is fine.

I say go you for taking a chance. That's great! But its time to let it go :slight_smile:

7. RokoLocko334

Update on the situation-

It's pretty much over. I got tired of the confusion so I spoke to him nicely letting him know I was confused when he offered to hang out as friends. I said I'd be willing to take time for things to develop as I didn't mean to try to push to hang out too quickly. I told him if he wasn't interested I respect that. and then he sends me a snap message back saying he honestly doesn't remember what he did or didn't say as he doesn't have a good memory.

He didn't really say if he was interested or not, but I got the hint that he wasn't. So I said if he wants to text me he can, left him my number and haven't heard from him in three days. Onto the next. Glad I tried and got it off my chest, still sucks a bit though.

8. CameOutSwinging

You did the absolute right thing by moving to let it go now. You tried and he didn't reciprocate. He was probably mostly just being nice earlier and coming up with excuses now for why he said or didn't say something. He doesn't sound like a bad guy to me, just someone who isn't interested. I think we all come across people like that, and also all sometimes are the person in those shoes. I know I've certainly been both. But you handled this perfectly at this point. Just stick with it.