1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get more comfortable with my sexuality?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Formality, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Formality

So I am fairly out at this moment in my life and most people I tell don't even bat an eye when I tell them. However I still have problems feeling comfortable about my sexuality in public. I mean, for example: I am interested in this guy who also seems fairly interesed in me. However I stop myself from being social with him because I am afraid of other people's judgement, I think...? I just feel so exposed and watched whenever I am showing affection towards another man in public, even though nobody really says or does anything to show judgement. It is soooo frustrating because I want to feel comfortable with my sexuality even when in public, at least enough so that I don't stop myself from being, well... myself.

How can I get more comfortable with my sexuality?

2. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will get better. For the first two years of realizing I was bisexual I hid it from myself and anyone else. I wouldn't even allow myself to see a naked man, for fear of becoming aroused... Now I am out the closet to most people, but even after a few months of being out I'm afraid of pursuing a same-sex relationship...

Long story short, your confidence will grow over time.

Peace & blessings

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Normality,

As WeDreamOfPeace said, it will get better.

Your concerns about Public Displays of Affection (PDA) are totally normal for anyone regardless of whether they are straight, gay or bi. It just takes practice. In other words, start out slow and get used to PDA with your boyfriend. Maybe start with simple hand holding, then progress to things like hugging and kissing each other in public. But only do what both of you are comfortable with. It’s not about ‘throwing’ anything in the majority-heterosexual-public’s face, it’s about you and your bf being comfortable with displaying the normal level of public affection that straight couples are entitled to because you have the same romantic feelings for the same reasons…

I don’t know if that helps…:slight_smile:

#3 Quantumreality, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017