1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm bullied for my attractions. What can I do?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Naos210, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Naos210

Now, people have known me as a completely normal straight male, but that's because I'm not really open about any of my problems. But because someone asked me if I would date a transgender woman, and I said yes (Blaire White was used as an example for reference), now, I'm pretty much just getting attacked. They're calling me gay, and somehow, that makes the argument I was making irrelevant. Would this classify as something I could at least report to Facebook? The people in question have made constant posts about me, and it's starting to really get to me.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Naos210,

What you are describing sounds much like playground bullying. Dignifying such bullying with a direct response is almost always a mistake because it indirectly legitimized the words that the bully uses.

You answered the question honestly and openly. You can either stand by what you said and 'simply' explain yourself (clarify your response) without dignifying the bullies with a direct response or simply ignore the bullies' responses. The fallacy in outright defending yourself in these cases is that you take the defensive, thus you 'admit' that their accusations might even be true. The best response, from my point of view, is to ignore them. The response that takes the fight to them is to question the bully's credibility in some form or another (their questionable morality, their lack of integrity (telling the truth), their questionable sexual morality,etc). But fighting back against bullies is often a zero-sum game because most bullies often have extremely low self-esteem themselves (hence why they lash out at others), so even if you beat them at their own game, they themselves become social outcasts, so what is the real point of all of this?

3. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm so sorry to hear about this. No one has the right to bully you for your attractions. I don't know exactly how to help but I think it is important not to let the hate get you down. There are people on this forum that care for you, that's a plus. Even when things are hard, just know you can rely on this forum for help. I'm sorry if I couldn't help.

But all I can say is keep reaching out for help.

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Fight back. Depending on how old you are and the laws of your country, you could also sue them for insults.