1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Catfished

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sawyer, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, so this is really embarrassing for me to admit, and I just mainly need a place to vent because my heart is having a hard time catching up with my brain.

Anyway, long story short, a girl messaged me on an online dating site. From her picture, I knew she was out of my league, but she complimented me on my smile so I thanked her. From there, we sort of struck up a friendship. We texted each other everyday for 3 months and she seemed like a really great person. I haven't had much luck with dating or making friends that identify as LGBTQ, so it was nice to have a girl I could chat with that identified the same way I did.

I started to get my suspicions that she wasn't who she said she was early on, but I was so lonely that I guess I let it go (she photoshopped a pair of glasses on her face, saying she was too embarrassed to actually take a photo). Anyway, I ended up finding out through Instagram tags, by happenstance, as this girl looked familiar, that the girl in her picture was someone from Norway, and not her. I was upset and nicely confronted her about it, and she cut off all contact.

I know that's for the best because I don't know if everything she told me was true or not. and I guess the worst part is is that I miss talking to them? I know if I pretended I didn't know things it wouldn't have been the same, as she would have still pretended to be someone she isn't. And even if I wanted to get to know the real person, I would never be able to tell what's a truth or lie...and I would still lose that friend. Logically, I understand, but I'm still heartbroken that I lost someone I thought was a friend.

Sorry for the long rant. I just really need help on how to get over this. Has this happened to anyone else, or am I the only idiot who got duped.

Thanks

2. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Considering you mentioned Catifsh you know you are far from the only one to be in this situation. Although I've seem some idiots on Catfish (the guy who thought he was talking to Katy Perry for example) but I don't think you were an idiot. Someone has managed to find their way in and we're all capable of being suckers. You want to see the best in people and you don't want to be all "I don't trust you" from day one. Where will that get you?

I've been there done that the hurt takes time to get over, in my case it was someone I spoke to for years. It's harder when you open up to someone about something you maybe struggled to talk to those closer to you about. You might end up putting your guard up for a while but there are plenty of good people out there. Don't let one actual idiot put you off.