1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really want somebody to talk to

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by HerRainbow, Mar 30, 2017.

1. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone,

I've posted a few different threads but coming out is a big thing for me. I feel like I'm finally ready to come out as bisexual and have waited quite a while to do it too. So far I've told my brother, sister and mum and generally they have taken it well so far. However, my biggest problem is that I feel isolated because I'm not close to friends anymore and I'm fairly shy but I would love to talk to other people mainly about coming out and possibly making new friends. Another thing I've noticed is that generally meeting places are pubs and nightclubs but I've never been to either.
    Could anyone suggest places/websites where I could talk to other people or possibly meet in a safe place?

Thanks again for your advice

2. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're already at one. A lot of people here are more than willing to listen, and for some of the staff, it's their job. People here won't judge you for your feelings and emotions.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some LGBT meetup clubs too that don't have the bar scene, though you usually find them in colleges.

As for websites, you're on one. You can always message any of us if you need support or have a question.

4. Really

5. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I've just looked at their website and it looks really good. They have a variety of different social meet ups available but I would quite like to go to the support group. Thank you so much for that

6. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I've found the advice on here really helpful so far thanks, it's nice to be able to have a place where I can ask questions without being judged. I guess I'm also looking for a place where I can eventually talk to people face to face as well

7. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is there anyone that's been to LGBT social meets and what do you think of them? I would like to go to one eventually but I'm fairly shy and I wouldn't know what to expect

8. Really

I've been to one so not a lot of experience but I can tell you how it was for me.

The event was to meet at a bar/pub in the gaybourhood and play a game.

It was nerve wracking to rsvp Yes and I had a moment when I pulled up in my car wondering if I was actually going to do this but in the end, I threw my money in the meter so there was no turning back. Well, that's what I told myself. :wink:

It was a small group and only a couple of them seemed to know each other as acquaintances. We played in teams of two and rotated around. The conversation was pleasant enough. We talked about the weather, the traffic, the city and...other boring stuff I can't even remember. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I didn't talk much and it didn't matter. Nobody tried to draw me out which was good. It was very easygoing and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. There was absolutely no talk about anybody's LGBT-ness nor, in fact, anything personal at all.

If you can get past the hard parts at the beginning of talking yourself into it, I think you'd have fun. Some others here have mentioned contacting the organizer beforehand to introduce themselves as a newbie and the organizer has offered to meet them and introduce them around the group. You could do this too if it's something you'd like. I didn't and it was fine.

P.S. FYI. I'm not out in any way; just for context. :slight_smile:

9. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Really, that's refreshing to hear! I would gather that these meets are similar because I joined one yesterday but haven't been to a meet up yet. There's only 6 people going so it would seem like a relaxed atmosphere and if there's no pressure regarding the LGBT stuff then that's good. It would give me enough courage to go to one at some point at least :slight_smile:

10. Really

I'm glad it helped. Maybe one day you can tell us how yours went. :thumbsup:

11. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I definitely will let everyone know how it went!