1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting LGBT friends

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DefinitelyaCat, Apr 1, 2017.

1. DefinitelyaCat

So I'm questioning my sexuality, I have been for some time. Most of my family is fairly religious though and would probably try to talk me out of exploring my sexuality. I'm only out to my sister and a few of my close friends all of whom are straight. Everyone I've told has been really supportive and awesome, but they don't always get it. I can't help wanting to make friends that know what it's like to like people of the same gender. I just want people to talk to about how hard and confusing this all is that have been in my shoes not some vaguely analogous situation. Hopefully I can find people here to talk to of course, but I'd also like to make friends I can talk to face to face.

This is where I need advice because as it turns out I actually don't know how to meet other Lgbt people in my area. I'm too old for a teenage support group and I'm not in college so I can't join a club. I don't drink and even if I did I'm actually really shy and I have a hard time approaching people. I have found a couple of groups for lesbians in the area on meetup, but I'm scared to go because I'm still kind of in the questioning stage of things and I'm not really out. I'm fairly certain that I like girls, but I've never had the opportunity to really explore that. I'm just feeling frustrated by it lately and could really use both some advice and some encouragement. Thanks.

#1 DefinitelyaCat, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. PokemonGuy12345

I really would suggest going to one of the lesbian support groups you found. Just go, and let them know you think you might like girls and want to explore that. I sincerely doubt that you'd be unwelcome. And also search for just an LGBT group where you live, if you're that uncomfortable going to a lesbian group. I live in rural Arkansas, and we have an LGBT group here where I live that meets weekly. I've met three non-straight people, just by accident. We became friends and I found out, they're gay! And that's rural Arkansas. Middle of the Bible Belt. If you live in Portland (That's what your location thingy there says anyways), it should be a lot easier to meet other LGBT people who will help you during this time, than in a small town in Arkansas! So if I can find support here, you can too, for sure. I wish you good luck.