1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pros and Cons of Pride parades

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RainbowArtNerd, Apr 7, 2017.

1. RainbowArtNerd

Hi peeps,
    Got a q for u. In your opinion, was it beneficial to attend a Pride parade in your coming out process? What should I expect?

I want to go but don't want to go by myself. I don't have family support and think it might be nice to just see such a huge support group. thx

_______
    "Too long till the weekend, Too long till I drown in your hand, Too long since I've been a fool."

2. Linkmaste

I needed it, and it helped out a lot. Make me take in perspective how not alone we are no matter how others make us feel.

Expect lots of rainbows and a few naked people. But enjoy yourself-it's fun and colorful to help promote just how much pride we have :grin:

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First pride parade I've been to was quite eye opening. You see so many other LGBT individuals that it gives you a sense of community and belonging.

It was great!

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First pride I went to was also my last (so far). The parade itself was pretty cool and fun to watch. There was a festival after though, and really, dancing and loud music and socializing isn't for me. I don't really like how people oversexualize pride, though. Anyway, I already came out to my family and such so it didn't really make a big difference. It is nice to be somewhere with (mostly) only gay people and supporters, but you can do that in multiple places not only pride. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 8th Apr 2017 at 11:53 PM ----------

And I would suggest going with someone, not alone. At least, if you're young. There were some creeps..... :/

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love a parade. Seriously I've been to over 25 Pride parades over the years and it's always really moving and wonderful. I went to my first Pride alone and I still remember that sense of community and normality, that sense that I finally really wasn't alone. It was amazing and I think that's part of what I relive each year when I go. I actually still have close friends some 25 years later that I met in a bar along the parade route that day.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am on my way to a pride parade as I type! Even now, I always find them therapeutic and emotional. It's easy to diminish the effects if you have not been, but being there first hand can really help build confidence, self esteem and Pride!

7. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It was very beneficial for me to see other people like me, as well as people who support the LGBTQ community.

8. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the 12 years since coming out, I have never been to a single parade. I get that some people enjoy the vibe and the dancing and loud music and all, and seeing lots of people but as I am not one for that and since I have never really felt part of the "community" I would stick out like a sore thumb.
    I think thought that if you want to go and see what it's like, then do. It might be really fun and you could meet some cool people I think.
    Best of luck.

9. photoguy93

If you're an outgoing person, it'll rock. If you're shy, it might go bad. I went to a pride festival and oh my god, it was too much. half naked people everywhere for a guy who runs away if another guy even looked at him? Yeah, not a good idea lol.

10. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

That sounds like what I do... I run away if I get looked at ...lol ..OR I am so in my own world, I don't even notice if someone is looking :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is exactly what pride is about! its to make yourselves vulnerable, take risks, and learn to remove your inhibitions!

By day, I wear a suit and tie, I am mild mannered, watch what I say and come off as a bit reserved. Yesterday at pride, I wore a tank top and shorts, goofy sunglasses and a crazy hat. Had a great time watching the parade and an even better time dancing to great music afterwords in a sea of out and proud LGBT!

Go push yourselves!!!!!!!!

12. RainbowArtNerd

Thanks guys! It sounds like something I'll definitely want to be heading to this year. I am outgoing (when I'm not depressed) and would very much enjoy seeing and meeting more strange and wonderful people. I'll watch out for the creeps though.

13. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll rather stay away, thanks. It really is not my scene. I'd never fit in. I am reserved pretty much all the time. That's just who I am.

#13 lonewolf79, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  14. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it not your scene because your concerned you would never fit in? I think everyone in attendance probably thought that at one point in time for another. I know I did. So if everyone felt they would not fit in, and they now attend, would seem like you may be more comfortable then your letting yourself be.

15. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Plenty of people participate quietly, in their own way. Just being there to observe and absorb can be a valuable experience.

I used to participate in the actual parades. As an aside - quick story:

One year, one of the gay men's leather clubs had lost so many members to AIDS they didn't have enough people to carry their banners and other things. They asked me and my roommate to join them. I was so honored, and touched. My roommate and I ended up in the newspaper, on the front page of the local news section. My mother had previously threatened unpleasantness if I ever got in the paper or was otherwise public about my orientation. Fortunately (and strangely), she didn't notice me in the photo, even though it was big and clear.

16. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never been there. Haven't the slightest inkling to do so. And probably never will.

I support the LGBTQ community in many ways, but Pride parades/festivals just aren't something that I care to participate in.

17. anthracite

anthracite Guest

If there is free beer, I like it. If not, all that pink and glitter would repell me.

18. ThatOneK1d

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ This. Though I have attended Pride events in the past, I probably won't again. Not because I didn't fit in but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

19. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Going by myself was one of the things that I feared (as well as ofcourse the standard 'what if someone sees me' and the fact I'm kinda shy too)

Once I actually got there that first time, any of those off feelings were gone! The going alone, the crowds, loud music, all that 'gay' stuff... none of it bothered me, even slightly, really the opposite: I felt like I actually belonged there. :slight_smile: really was a pretty amazing feeling, even lasted for a few days afterward.

------------------------
    I only went to a pride parade one time (2nd year I went), but have gone to the festival part 6 years in a row (plus a few times to one in a 2nd city as well).
    Oh and always by myself. :slight_smile:
    (haven't decided yet/too early to say if I'll make it 7 years in a row this year..)

#19 SimplyJay, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017