1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anger issues

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wolfwing, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Wolfwing

So I need some advice. For pretty much as long as I can remember, I've always had issues dealing with anger. The only way I can really describe this is to have anger be a scale of 1 to 10. A minor nuisance that would make someone else be a 1, would make be like a 2 or 3 and so on. And I can just moments, which are luckily very few and far in between, where the anger just sorts of takes over, I stop thinking, and I'll just like breakdown and start crying. In those rare moments, I have great trouble calming down and the last time I got like this, it took me like around 10 to 20 minutes before I fully calmed down to the point where I could think and act rationally. Despite moments like this being very rare, with it having happened only once this past year or so, I still know it could happen and have the worry in the back of my head that it'll happen again. I want to stop this completely or at very least minimize it though I don't really know how to and I've never done any sort of anger or stress management exercises. So I'd really appreciate advice.

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (*hug*) everything will be ok. :slight_smile:. Anger is pretty much a sentiment everyone experiences and being quick to anger is fairly common too. I'm pretty calm most of the time and rarely get angry, but when I do, it's like a rage, but it passes in a minute or two. I could keep it under control and minimize it over the years.

What I did was meditation and breathing exercises. Try to find a time of the day when it's quiet, calm and peaceful; also so that you don't get disturbed during this. Sit on your bed or on the floor in your room, preferbly cross-legged or in any other comfortable position. Even laying on your back with your legs and arms spread out helps.

Try to think of a calm environment. An open field with the wind blowing or any other memory that makes you happy. Breathe in slowly and breathe out. Do that for atleast five minutes. Have a soft alarm ready to wake you up (Make sure it isn't a loud one, as that might wake you up violently).

If you can close your eyes and sit, then do "pranayama". It the technique wherein you close one nostril, breathe in with the other one. Then you close the first nostril and breathe out with the second one. Look it up online, you should have the techique and video descriptions too. Try to do this for 5 minutes, concentrating on your breathing and nothing else.

Once you're done with this, open a diary and write down all the things that made you feel upset, angry or at least annoyed the previous day. It can be even a minute thing. Write it down. I'm sure once you re-read these entries over time, the situations can seem silly to you. That's maturity and that's when you know you're getting over getting angry.

This isn't expert advice, but it helped me to a large extent. I sincerely hope it helps you.