1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of oncoming depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mariana, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never officially been diagnosed with depression but I'm pretty sure I was depressed in my late teens. It got better over time, which is nice, and I never want to feel that way again but I'm scared that I will, and soon.

I just told a friend that I like him romantically and he told me he isn't interested in me that way. Now I don't know what to do because the last time I was hurting because a relationship didn't work out I went to him and talked to him and he was really supportive. This time, I'm hurt because he's the one who's not interested, so what do I do?
    I don't really have anyone else I can talk to and I'll need some time away from him to get over my hopes of us becoming "more" than friends. So I feel pretty lonely right now because he was my go-to person in all things emotional and now I don't have that support anymore.

Also, everytime I develop feelings for someone, I think "maybe this time it's gonna work out" but it never does. So I feel like this isn't just bad luck or whatever, maybe I'll never find someone who wants to be with me, and then I think that maybe I'm just not someone anyone would want to be with, and that's not good at all for my feeling of self-worth at all.

I feel pretty shitty. There's some other stuff that's stressing me out as well, like uni stuff and my lack of a proper plan for my life and I don't know how to handle that on top of this recent rejection and feeling super lonely. I don't feel like I could just go to a counsellor or someone because they would just be like "well, sometimes people don't wanna be your boyfriend/girlfriend, get over it, you'll be fine", which I guess is true. There are people with real problems out there, like schizophrenia or drug addiction, so I feel like I can't seek professional help just because my friend doesn't want to date me, basically.

2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been there. And once you've been there (depression, the meaninglessness, the "why bother?" feeling) you're afraid to slide back in -- which leads to anxiety, !@#$%! as if we needed another brick to carry.

I have also felt the same way about therapist/counsellors: they will say "you'll be fine." Those are the lame-o ones. There are much better ones, who can really help.

And like you say, one feels even embarrassed to feel bad when there is so much worse: schizo, junkie.. and what about Syria? But you are important too and I think the phrase we want here is "a stitch in time saves nine [later]". Talk to somebody!

And I know this won't be much of a consolation, but the fact that you can feel, even though it's heartbreak this time around, means that you also can love and be loved. If there were no risk or pain in love, there would be no reward or pleasure either.

3. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1 in 4 people have mental health problems of varying degrees.

I've been depressed since I was in primary school however I never sought help until it was nearly too late. When I realised just how close I came to killing myself I realised that I couldn't handle it all by myself like I thought I should.

I know what it's like to feel worthless and not fit to be with anyone. However you need to know that if something is bothering you then you should ask for help if you need it. You shouldn't compare yourself to other people...thats what I did and my doctor told me not to as everyone is affected in different ways and if it matters to you then it's important.

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

4. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm distracting myself with work and that's going surprisingly well. I have decided to wait a bit and see if it gets worse because right now I feel like I can manage on my own.
    As long as I don't think about myself (as in, how much of a failure I sometimes think I am) I'm alright.