1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you and your partner meet? (Dating advice)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kepler05, Apr 10, 2017.

1. kepler05

kepler05 Guest

I'm just curious since I'm very new to the LGBT community. I know there are LGBT specific dating sites, but I don't know how popular those are. It's also very hard to find/identify people who are lesbian/gay/bi in normal settings (as it isn't necessarily obvious if a person is gay). So I just want to know how people have found the person they are with and what advice they would give to anyone that is looking to start dating.

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically, my boyfriend and I initially started chatting on an app (moreso for hookups tbh), but nothing really happened till a couple months later. While I was unsure about what I wanted in a relationship, he stuck around and here we are, 1.5 years later.

Finding someone you can really connect with is rare on a hookup app, but that's what my boyfriend and I were looking for. This is the first real relationship that we've been in so we basically started from scratch. Overtime, we've learned to communicate and become honest with each other. While it's important to spend time with your significant other, it's just as important to be independent with your own life (as I've leaned recently). Investing too much in the relationship just spells trouble (something that happened to both of us during our relationship).

I don't have much experience with dating sites, so unfortunately I cannot help you there. But there's couples that meet from social media, as well as through similar interests/hobbies.

3. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I met almost everyone I've ever dated, including my partner of 18 years, at a social/support/discussion group or event where people had common interests.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the waiting room at an airport prior to boarding a flight. We fit met then, stayed in touch, and went on our first date about five months later - he played the definitive "hard to get" game to say the least :rolle:

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't met him yet.

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He