1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I might have just screwed myself.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Simple Thoughts, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Simple Thoughts

So this week I had two different exchanges with people I work with. One was the store manager and the other is one of the night shift managers.

The night shift manager more or less made a racist comment about how "Not white" people are the ones doing all the scams in the store.

The store manager was laying into me for taking some sick days this week and he basically told me that I was the only "Man" around and he didn't want a woman left in his store alone at night because without a man around the store wasn't as safe...and well I think you can kind of understand what I'm getting at.

I brought this up with our district manager today. I was hoping maybe she'd tlak to them or make them take one of those seminar training things...but I dunno she got very serious very fast and now I'm scared to death. She wanted like a written statement from me about it and she said people would be getting in touch with me later and she was going to investigate the matter....I'm not very high up on the food chain, and I'm terrified that this could get me in trouble or fired or something. I'm just so on edge right now. ;_;

2. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't worry, I think you've done the right thing. It wasn't right of the managers to make those comments, sexism and racism will never resolve anything. Besides, it's not your fault that you fell ill.
    The way I see it is that you are very professional and take your job seriously. You could ask the district manager to keep your name anonymous, so that your reputation isn't damaged with your colleagues. We won't get very far in society if we are going to be blind to such issues.
    Take care.

3. Simple Thoughts

She asked me to give a written statement about it and said someone would probably get in touch with me in the future. I just feel nervous. I am terrified about retaliation. I know they have a policy against that sort of thing, but a policy is just words on paper unless someone enforces it. Ya know?

4. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I see what you're getting at. I'm not sure what the legalities are in this case in Ohio, but they can't penalise you for following the company's rules. Are you a member of a union perhaps, they could advise you on what to do?

5. Simple Thoughts

Actually, I moved to Wisconsin.

I'm not sure what I can do at this point. I don't have a union or anything. I'm just gonna cross my fingers and pray for the best because that's all I can do at this point. I already opened pandoras box on this and whatever happens will happen.

6. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Apologies for the mistake.

You have put yourself in a tough situation, but you did the right thing. Unfortunately you can't change the past, but see the glass as half-full. Those guys could have made worse comments in the future, and you have helped prevent that. Worrying about it won't help, you'll only stress yourself out more than you need to.

Hope everything works out well in the end. Good luck! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Apr 2017 at 08:09 PM ----------

I've found this on a Wisconsin site, hope this helps put you at ease a bit.

'In addition, there are state and federal laws that limit an employer’s right to terminate an employee where the reason for the termination is discriminatory or in retaliation for the employee exercising particular rights.' Termination (with Discharge) laws, regulations, analysis, news, and tools

7. Simple Thoughts

I dunno. I hope everything works out for the best. I wasn't looking to stir the pot or anything. I just felt like maybe I should say something about what they said before they said it to someone who'd make a huge deal out of it and get the entire company in hot water

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Retaliation for whistleblowing (which is what this was) is illegal on both the state and federal levels, and the fact that your district manager is taking it seriously actually works in your favor.

Since you have the connection to talk to your district manager, my guess is that she will ensure that there's no retaliatory action. Just hang low, toe the line exactly, don't be late/sick/etc for a bit... and you should be fine.

9. Simple Thoughts

I'm never in trouble, and I almost never miss work either. I have like 70hours of Paid Time off built up at this point which is always nice.

I've just never done anything like this before. I usually just kind of keep my head low and try to stay out of the way so I feel weird about it all. I mean they shouldn't be saying stuff like they did so I don't feel totally bad for bringing it up, but at the same time I just really don't wanna be responsible for getting anyone in a lot of trouble either.