1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depressed and binging

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by janeausten, Apr 20, 2017.

1. janeausten

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am affected by seasonal affective disorder, and had to take a couple of months off work due to depression. I was able to get better and return to work.

However, now whenever I have a tough day or am stressed I tend to eat whatever sugary food I can until I feel better.

It's only been a couple of weeks back on the job, and although I am not feeling strong symptoms of depression, I'm worried that if the binge eating continues they will, and I will have to take another sick leave which would result in being fired ( as I already used my sick time).

How do you cope with the daily stress of life? How have you or someone you known recovered from unhealthy eating? Should I see a therapist?

Please help!

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SAD sucks big time.

I would suggest you speak to a therapist to find a better way to deal with the stress especially as you don't want the added pressure of potentially losing your job looming over you.

In the meantime I would suggest you maybe go for a walk to clear your head.

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me going to work helps with depression. It gets me out of the house and doing something productive, and the people there can be helpful too.

4. QuinnA

I do the same. It's like I'm not bad enough to properly hurt myself but still want to punish myself so I overeat till I feel sick. And then I feel worse for overeating.
    One thing you could try is set strict mealtimes for yourself so you aren't allowed to eat at other times. For me getting out of the house can also help if I'm interacting with others because I'm ashamed of my overeating so if I'm with others I don't overeat. Maybe try confiding in a close friend about it so they can try and help you?
    I hope some of this was useful