1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxing as self-harm?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WeDreamOfPeace, Apr 21, 2017.

1. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey people of EC

I used to be a cutter, but gave up. Have since been training in boxing, but have sometimes allowed myself to be hit hard or run into punches or purposefully not dodge an attack in order to feel the pain. I find it extremely difficult to experience or enjoy anything.

Was just wondering if any of you have had anything similar during depression/mental health difficulties?

Thankyou(*hug*)

2. hand in glove

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I've also struggled with selfharm and depression.. I know how you feel.

But believe me you will be able to enjoy things again, I thought I would always feel the way I used to when I was sick but now I'm a lot better. Are you seeing a therapist/on meds (although i would be wary of medication)? it really helped me personally..

Also I can relate to this I used to do the same thing. I think that often cutting is the only thing seen as selfharm, even though that's far from the truth. It's just something that is really difficult to stop, I still do it sometimes now when I get stressed out, so doing things like you described is completely understandable.. but please try to not do it, you can look up selfharm alternatives online.. there are many great sources for this.

Thats all I can think of atm, I hope you get well soon and if you want you can post on my wall/message me if you want to talk.

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats on giving up cutting. I know its hard - i mean, mostly cause i gave it up and went back to it and have yet to stop again. But anyways...yeah that can be a very...twisted, i guess?...form of self harm, especially if you want the pain for an end goal. With me, the end goal is typically to calm down cause i'm overwhelmed as fuck, but if i'm reading this right for you its the opposite.

4. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say this is self harm because you are intentionally getting into harm's way to feel the sensation of pain. The pain makes you feel better because it releases opiate type chemicals to your brain, thus in a twisted way making you feel "more alive" or "better." That is the basis of self harm and why unintended pain hurts more with no positive affect.

You may need to take a break from boxing to recover and try and break away from this cycle. Any self harm is unhealthy. Have you tried seeing a therapist to learn coping skills? If not, it is worth a try.

Good luck,

Sebby

#4 Sebby45, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  5. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I'm a bit better now. Boxing really calms me down/motivates me and I'm not allowing myself to be harmed anymore.

I'm on the brink of getting some therapy arranged, but too anxious to get anxiety sorted out *facepalm*

Love you all

Peace