1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression & Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dcout, Apr 22, 2017.

1. dcout

Hi,

I've just posted in the welcome forum as I've re-joined the site are several years of denying who I am, which I'm still doing now.

In my welcome post I commented about physical health implications related to suppressing who I really am. Over the past few months I've been rushed to hospital with severe chest pains, being light headed and feeling sick. After various tests (blood, x-ray, egc) the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. I have done a little research online and it appears these are also symptons of panic attacks. My question is, has anyone else experienced this as a result of being in the closet and denyign who you are? It's slightly concerning and I'm curious as to whether this will get worse.

Yes, I know the answer is to be honest about who I am but I'm still struggling to come to terms with it.

dc

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's how I came out to my dad. I was in the middle of another panic attack, feeling sick and having pains all over, and he anxiously told me "this is psychological! what's bothering you? is there anything you'd like to tell me?". And I replied, "well, there's something. remember when I told you I liked a this guy? she was a girl". I felt better after.
    Sometimes anxiety and panic attacks are caused by fears that are so deeply embedded into our minds that we don't consciously aknowledge them, that's why we need therapists to help us dig up the cause and deal with it.

3. dcout

That's what it seems like to me, I've ignored my sexuality for so long and thought I could just carry on. I managed to get past the point of thinking about it, I guess my body had other ideas. I'm just not at what stage the pain will be enough to make me admit who I am. Hopefully coming back to this site will help ease it a bit.

Thanks for your reply.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi - i saw your post in the welcome section and am writing here!

i think the symptoms you describe are very common in people 'switching their emotions off' because the stress just finds other ways to get out ... panic attacks. Its a physical manifestation of the stress you are supressing.

You could think about discussing this with your doctor because I bet this is so common that he/she will know what to recommend. This may be to give you some meds for the short term to calm things down but also get you sorted out with some 'taking therapies'.

You would not need to tell your doctor exactly what the stress is about - you could be vague but when you get to meeting a therapist you could then decide to open up about things there?

You ask if it could get worse. I hope not, but if you continue the trend of withdrawing and covering up you may find it does not improve. So maybe think hard about being more honest with people about the 'real you'.

(*hug*)

5. photoguy93

While we cannot diagnose here or in any online setting, it does seem like you're dealing with a lot of psychological issues.

Being in the closet can do a number on your soul. It can rip you apart and make you question everything. However, you're in a panic state when that kind of stuff happens. Like, we all get anxious. Imagine the feeling of driving and you see lights and sirens behind you. Oooops, you sped and are getting pulled over. It makes you anxious. But with anxiety, you typically get over it. In a panic state, you just freak out and lose yourself. You get the pains, aches, and upsets that you're describing.

I've actually been in a panic state recently. I'm slowly coming out of it, but it was about a guy so it's also mixed with some depression & grief, too.

I'm a big supporter of therapy, but if that's not possible, I'd suggest working on relaxation techniques and retraining your mind. I had to work on "retraining" my brain to stop thinking certain ways. Like with this guy situation, every time I've wanted to spiral and think of him and someone else, I've had to start thinking of something else and getting my mind out of that spiral.

I wish you the best on this journey. It's going to be rough but eventually, you will get to a better place. It is possible.

6. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A panic attack is literally when your body has accumulated so much anxiety you "blow up." So, yes, I can see in a coming out situation where you are always anxious and trying to hide yourself, panic attacks could occur.