1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Randomgurl11, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Randomgurl11

Honestly, i have had confusion in the past regarding my sexual orientation; but now I know and accept who I am. My family already knows and they accept me. The problem is that I still feel empty. I have spent many years finding myself and I have, but yet I feel like something is missing.What is wrong with me? Why do I feel so incomplete?

2. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think there's anything wrong with you. Sometimes we just feel that way. Maybe you will feel better in a relationship or maybe there's another underlying issue. I'm glad you have found who you are and I hope you're feeling better soon

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you worked through the shame and internalized homophobia that cause your confusion to begin with? It's great that you have embraced your sexuality, that is a massive achievement. Going along with that, given all the negative messaging around us, we often can not help but develop shame and internalized homophobia.

That empty feeling might very well be such emotions. Shame is a powerful emotion, diminishing our self esteem, self worth and confidence. Internalized Homophobia is derived from shame and causes us to be unhappy with ourselves for being LGBT.

To manage the shame, you need to confront it head on. You need to make yourself vulnerable. Take risks and put yourself out there. When you make yourself vulnerable, you open yourself up emotionally. If you find success with whatever the vulnerable act is, you build confidence and self esteem. And if you are unsuccessful, but see how you were able to manage the situation without much negativity, that as well goes to build confidence and self esteem.

Finally, you may need to find closure. Closure from events in your life that you struggled with emotionally. A way to put those events behind you. When you move on from prior emotional traumas' you cleanse your mind.

I know these are all very meaningful topics, summarized in a short thread. Research these topics, write about them, think about how they might be impacting you and being the journey of healing from Shame and Internalized Homophobia.

#3 OnTheHighway, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017