1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are grading distributions so weird? How does the bell curve work?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by FuelsMySong, Apr 23, 2017.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok, so in one of my classes the average was around 74.9 and I got a 74 and it ended up being a C+. In my other class, the average was also around 74.9 and I got 72 and it ended up being a B-. How does this work? How does the curve work? Does it just depend on the prof?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The average Lone doesn't tell you much without the standard deviation.

Average is simply the value of all scores added together, then divided by number of scores. But it doesn't give a reliable picture. Let's say you have a room with 4 people in it. One is 3 years old, two are 12, and one is 64. The average age in that room is about 45, which is totally unhelpful information. But the standard deviation represents (in simple terms) how far off scores are from the average. In this case the standard deviation would be really wide.

In testing and scoring on a bell curve, the standard deviation and the mathematical fact that any distribution naturally occurring tends to fall along a curve help to create a fair grading curve.

For example, if there is a really hard test, and many students get scores in the 60s or 70s, with few getting higher scores, grading on a curve lifts the lower scores and resets them to reflect how well you did *compated to others* rather than to an arbitrary scale. This is particularly helpful if a professor made up a test that was harder than anticipated.

That is the most likely explanation for the grade/score variance.