1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have developed a fear of driving

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by animefan2861, Apr 26, 2017.

1. animefan2861

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Does anyone else have experience with this?

I used to like driving, but when I took Driver's Ed, I started to get really nervous after the first driving session. Now I am paranoid whenever I get behind the wheel, and I don't hear anyone when they're trying to give me instructions.

And just for the record, I've been driving since I was 15 1/2. That's 7 total years behind the wheel and I've been getting worse and worse each time I drive.

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! My fear developed from a car accident back in January this year. Prior to that, I was quite excited and thought I was a pretty good driver. All it took was one bad judgement call and it totalled my car. By the books, I was at fault.

I started diving last year, so really not long at all.

Ever since the accident, I have been behind the wheel significantly less than before. I've spoken to my therapist and she's strongly suggested I get back on the wheel asap. Now I'm only comfortable driving with someone beside me. Although some may argue that I am simply inexperienced (which may be true), that doesn't change the fact that I am still scared to get behind the wheel.

Unfortunately I do not have any advice, as I am still in the process of getting more comfortable driving again, but you are not alone!