1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to grow out or style female hair?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WeDreamOfPeace, Apr 26, 2017.

1. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all, I'm pretty new to the idea of growing out my hair, and was just wondering how girls actually grow out and style their hair? My hair is currently ~2 inches long, but I'm trying to grow it out. Most of my hair is straight, but tends to curl at the ends.

Just wanted a few answers, regarding mostly combing my hair as it grows...

- Some of my hair naturally falls in front of my ears, should I comb it straight there, comb it behind my ear, or cut it off?

- Should I straighten my curly strands at the back of my head or just leave them to do their thing?

- Bangs, should I try and wisp/spike them or just comb them sideways, in the aim of suggesting a more feminine cut/face?

Thankyou for your time! Peace & hugs(*hug*):sunglasses:

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its hard to say without a photo and idk if we can post personal photos here or not. I think a lot of it depends on what you think looks good on you and how much effort your willing to put into your hair in the morning. My hair's long, naturally wavy, and naturally frizzy so unless i spend ages in the bathroom in the morning putting product in it to counter against that, it'll just look like a mess halfway through the day. And if its humid, forget it. So i usually put it up, especially if i'm working that day.

Do you have any girl family members or friends with hair that grows like yours? Perhaps they could offer you styling advice. If you know a hair stylist or beautician (or whatever they're called), they could probably give you a better opinion cause that's their job.

3. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ahhh...the hair growing out process...it's annoying, it takes patience and be prepared for many awkward stages in this! But if you want long hair it's worth it in the long run!

Over the past couple years I have grown out my chin length bob. It's now below my shoulders. Mine is like yours, as it grows it gets more wavy and it curls at the ends. I say let the curls just be natural. You may come to love that your hair does this. Not sure if you like to use a blow dryer, but if you do when it gets longer you may want to invest in a blow-dryer diffuser (available at any beauty supply store). This maintains any waves and curls while it still dries your hair, without blowing it all out.

Anyway, here's my
    two cents in answering your questions:

-no you definitely should not cut the hair that falls in front of your ears. If you do you will end up with the 'mullet' look from the 1980's. So unless this is the look you are going for, leave it long there. Keeping it tucked behind your ears is probably the best option during the grow out phase.

-let your curls do their thing!

-A hairdresser can 'notch' your bangs, which can help in keeping them, but keeping them 'lighter' looking and not so heavy and straight across, it is kind of the 'wispy' look. I have always worn bangs, the no bang look doesn't work for me. It looks great on some people though, depends on your face shape and structure. You will figure out what works for you. During the grow out phase you can keep the bangs, and figure out if you want to cut them later.

Trust me, if you are like most people in this process there are several times along the way that you will just want to cave in and cut it, so be prepared for this. I know I felt this way many times! Good luck!

4. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey thanks both of you, especially you moonsparkle :slight_smile:

Yikes glad I didn't cut off the sides then!

Thing is, bangs, especially if done correctly, de-emphasize the angularity of your face, pretty handy for trans women. I love having really natural hair too, but I tend to go between wanting to have super professional coloured amazing hair to just all-out natural dreads.

Check out opalescent hair colour though... that's seriously beautiful :slight_smile:

Peace and nice happy feels

5. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I shaved my head for cancer fundraising a couple of years ago, and now have them to my lower back, so I do know all stages of hair growing :wink: Mine get curly towards the end too, and they start to do that at around 2 inches long, like you, and those curls will probably get larger as they grow (loose curly hair). Unfortunately, I trade time spent on my hair for sleep in the morning, so I don't usually get nice hairstyle and such, but if you want to spend a bit of time on them, go ahead! :slight_smile: It all depends on your taste and what fits well with the shape of your face. For now, you can either flat iron the curly ends to get them flat, or leave them as they are and wait until they get a little bit longer to curl them with an iron or styling foam. You can try both and decide which one you prefer. At 2 inches long, your hair are most likely at an awkward stage around the ears, but I suggest you don't cut them, as you will have to go all throught that "ear stage" again if you want them longer than your ears. When they reach around 3-4 inches, you could go to a hairdresser and ask for a nice layered cut, and they'll grow out just fine from that point.

Geeze... I definitely didn't intended to write so much haha :slight_smile:

Anyways, hope that was helpful! :slight_smile:

#5 Islanzadi, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  6. grass

grass Guest

You can just trim it at your neck and wait until the rest of your hair catches up. I want to grow my hair out too.

7. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    generally whenever I donate my hair, I do either a pixie with swept bangs or a gradient bob cut with no bangs. After, as it grows, I either do a slick back look or a half ponytail/bun till I can put it in a full ponytail. Also, I like to tuck the hair behind my ears or pin them back with a cute hairpin if I'm feeling fancy (especially when my hair's still growing out). But I heard from a friend (who has lob length hair) that she likes to keep the hair in front to soften her strong jaw.

As for bangs, I think ideally to have them at around eyebrow length in the middle and then get longer at the edges, while being soft (like no sharp cuts?). I think a bit wispy would be cute. But I mean, honestly, I'm NOT a hairstylist.