1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a mental health thread

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by The1nkling, Apr 27, 2017.

1. The1nkling

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have Mixed Anxiety and Depression Disorder and I wanted to complain about it. I have my depression mostly under control. I've only been having a suicidal thought once a week as opposed to before when it was multiple times a day. But sometimes I'll get super sad or super anxious for no reason and it just sucks. I'm not expecting to never be sad or anxious, it would just be mice to have a reason behind it, ya know?

The main point of posting this is to see if anyone else experiences this and to hear other people's mental health stories if you want to share.

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suffer from depression and anxiety. My antidepressants mean I can get through the day however I've tried therapy and counselling which didn't work. And am now onto a psychiatrist. I feel I'm no longer suicidal however that's about it progress wise. If I get really anxious I break out in hives.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was recently diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar depression. It is so hard to understand why I feel the way that I do sometimes. I just recently started medication for it, and have not yet made it to the full dosage yet. I have already noticed a difference though. The previous medicaton I was on had me stuck in mania constantly for 6 months... so that was not any fun at all..

I have a phych assessment coming up, so hopefully that will uncover some clues on what is going on with my mental health as well. Right now, I am just happy that I am having less rapid mood swings. I'll take what I can get for now.

4. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been diagnosed with depression, general anxiety disorder and PTSD. It's mostly controlled now - the meds mostly work and therapy helps, I don't have suicidal thoughts and I don't cut anymore, but it's still difficult. Some days just suck and I have anxiety attacks that can something be pretty disabling. I really hate being in this situation and sometimes I feel like there's no way out... and then I remember just how much worse it used to be.

5. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been diagnosed with bipolar I disorder, rapid cycling, and generalized anxiety disorder. At this time last year I was constantly, chronically suicidal, as well as having a hard time functioning because of the depression. I'm not there anymore, although I still have days where the depression can get me down and make it hard to do stuff. But I think we finally have a med combo that can work at least for a while.
    It's funny...with all the emotional stuff associated with questioning, I'm happier acknowledging it then I was before.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety.

On some level it is good to know, so I can better understand some of my own thought processes. But also it kind of hurts, because I mean, I know I'm depressed. I've known for years. But finally to have had a doctor confirm it puts the nail in the coffin, so to speak.

It is really hard sometimes. For me, it doesn't ever seem to go away completely. Like the ocean it is ever present, yet its tides change. There are low tides which are bearable. Then high tides which threaten to drown me. I break down a lot still; I often feel like I'm going through the stages of grief again and again, but it's like I forgot what I was grieving for.

Though I think I've gotten better at understanding myself over the past year. I try and just take one day at a time, you know?

7. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely have issues with depression and anxiety, but I've never been diagnosed with anything. I had one counseling appointment recently but I cancelled all my upcoming appointments because I felt weird about it.

8. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've not been diagnosed with anything, mum won't let me, but to help deal with my problems I've done a lot of research. All I can really say are my symptoms and what I believe them to be.

Anxiety. Definitely. I have panic attacks and struggle everyday with it. Nearly anything can make me anxious and does.

Depression. Probably. Feel like I'm worthless, everydays the same and doesn't feel 'real'. Suicidal thoughts every single day. Just don't feel like living anymore.

OCD. Definitely. Intrusive thoughts, compulsions, impulses and rituals. If something isn't the way I need it to be i cant focus until I've fixed it. It's not a cleaning thing. I pick my legs until they bleed and bite my fingers till they bleed and scar. The thought comes and the only way to relieve it is to do whatever I have to and then I'm okay for a little while, it's only temporary though.

My mum is not a bad mother, she just doesn't want me to get put on medication, or for it to effect the chance of me getting a job when I'm older. I also have tics, but I don't know why. Just my life haha

9. hand in glove

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have had depression, anxiety and self harm issues for some years (unsure exactly when it started). I saw a therapist for a little over a year and am now mostly fine again.. I still struggle with it sometimes but I have it under control for the most part. I used to have suicidal thoughts as well but I haven't had them for a while now..
    It is so weird to look back at the times where I was at my lowest, it feels like I was a completely different person.

#9 hand in glove, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  10. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here, have some more

I haven't been diagnosed with anything but early cognitive development (if that's even a thing that people diagnose; basically a psychologist told my parents when I was young that my chaotic (emotional) behaviour was due to me being some sort of early developed child). They couldn't even determine whether or not I really has Asperger's syndrome. That was about two years ago.
    At that point I was feeling like I am right now, which hindered any diagnosis, since I was unwilling to share anything with my therapist. I felt no will, no desires, and had dark thoughts very often. It must be some kind of depressive disorder, at least, and it only worsened. Things became even weirder when I started getting better, like, abnormally fast. It was like I suddenly had energy and all my self doubt was gone, though I could still see a sort of dark veil at the corner of my sight. I felt like I needed to improve myself and could, and like I wanted to meet people, do sports, and so on.
    Then, it faded away progressively, back to a neutral/apathetic/anhedonic state of barely managing to keep my life together, and soon enough, a breakdown. Then things go better, then worse, then bad, and so on.
    On dark days, I can become violent towards myself. I can hurt myself. I can even attempt to kill myself, something I've been thinking about for years without the intent of really doing it. Being in a dark phase, of course, brings me closer to actually doing it. I still lack the guts.. Today is one of those days, yesterday was one too, and I may never have lived to see today, actually.

And since then I've been believing that either the typical teenage mood swings really hit me hard, or what I took for depression is rather a bipolar disorder. I just hope I survive long enough to get better, but I doubt anything can help me any more. I doubt anything could have helped me from the beginning..

11. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had severe anxiety and panic disorder since I was a child. When I was about 13 I started developing severe depression, and by 14 I had PTSD. I tend to deflect through humor about my experiences, but man, the combination of those really did suck. I was pretty suicidal for about a year straight, and occasionally have pretty bad episodes in my mental health. I've been on medication for about three years, and that has done so much to help me out. Therapy has also done a world of good.

It took me a while to fully believe it, but now that message of "It gets better" has really stuck with me, and it's true. Things do get better. Takes a lot of work, but you can get to a better place than where you are now. And finding other people who have gone through similar things is a huge help, just to find a listening ear and someone who understands you.