1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding someone to talk to.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dcout, Apr 28, 2017.

1. dcout

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post in but I could only see the physical and sexual health thread and not a mental health one.

Anyway, being in the closet has really got to me now and anyone that has read my other posts has seen that I have started to have anxiety/panic attacks, to the stage of going to A&E thinking I was having a heart attack. I've had very little sleep recently, have been so depressed that I've distanced myself from everyone and now my parents aren't well. I'm not suicidal but really need to finding someone to talk to because I just can't carry on living like a zombie with daily panic attacks.

My question is... does anyone know a cheap/free organisation that provides someone to talk to one to one on a weekly basis? I have looked at local charities but can only find the samaritans or support groups. I have been to my GP but they only offer anti-depressants. I'm in the UK for anyone that is wondering, I lok forward to suggestions.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey have you looked if there are any LGBT groups near you, they maybe not offer 1 to 1 on a weekly basis but they may be able to help or direct you to someone that can?

3. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Strange my gp referred me to therapy. Although I also have antidepressants.

Have you looked on the Mind website. They may have some resources

4. dcout

I've found one LGBT group but it's about 15 miles away and they take it in turns meeting at members houses for group meet ups. Not sure I'm ready for something like that but will keep searching online for other alternatives.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2017 at 03:00 AM ----------

There's a couple of interesting links on their web site and I've sent an email so I'll wait to see what their response is, thanks.

My GP is a medical centre and they're too busy to take the time to talk to you, very quick dismissal with any medication they see suitable.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may be worth trying the doctors again. Ask to see a different doctor, I'm sure they won't all have the same views.