1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Soon and Would like Advice on a Few Things.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Matto_Corvo, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is official that I will be moving on July 29th, and I though I would be way more excited than I feel. I mean, I am exited about this new chapter in my life, but at the same time I am just a little bit terrified.

I have lived in South Carolina my whole life, and have never really been to far from my family for more than a week. I'm not sure how well I will do all the way on the other side of the country, though I won't be alone. I will be staying with a friend who is renting a room out to me, and I will also be a part time student.

I wonder if any one has any advice on how to handle the anxiety that comes with moving.

I also find myself a bit anxious by the thought of being on an airplane for the first time. A lot of first for me it seems.

2. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The best thing here is that you won't be alone since you are renting a room from a friend. This will be REALLY helpful when you move. Your friend can help orient you to your new city and this will be really helpful in adjusting. You can also research your new area online, and join facebook groups about your new city. This might make you feel more connected to the new city in advance, and it will make you aware of some local happenings and issues; things people in the community are talking about.

As far as plane travel...sigh...unfortunately these days flying can be a bit of a nightmare, with long security lines, delays and airline seats becoming smaller and smaller as airlines try to increase their capacity. Elbow room and leg room is hard to come by for sure! Snacks and drinks are not always offered (and sometimes not free if they are!) The first time I flew was in the mid-eighties and I know that I was a nervous wreck! (And that was back when plane travel was still somewhat 'pleasant'!) I almost didn't make it on that flight I was so anxious --so I get it!

My two cents worth of advice which may help with anxiety:

-Review the TSA guidelines before leaving, this will tell you what you can and cannot bring onto the plane. This seems to change often, so check for updated information.

-Arrive at the airport early.

-If you are feeling anxious I would try to get an aisle seat for this first time. This will give you a little more (a little bit!) room and you won't have to climb over people if you have to use the bathroom.

-Chew gum, I find it really does help me with ear popping!

-Turbulence happens, not the most pleasant feeling, but generally short-lived!

-And just an FYI-- I wish someone had told me planes touch down on the runway at a really fast speed! Which makes sense of course but for some reason I didn't expect it. My first flight I didn't think it would stop in time. It will!

Best of luck on your new venture in your new city! And you'll be a frequent flier before you know it! :slight_smile:

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice ^_^
    I already went a head and bought my ticket since I know prices change often and I was trying to get the cheapest one available. And I did get an aisle seat, though that was more because I have an overactive bladder and didn't want to have to climb over people every hour of a five and half hour flight to go pee.

I've been researching Portland (where I am moving) but that mostly revolves around the aspect of being trans and living there. Also been looking into what jobs are available so that I can find one as soon as possible.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Portland is an awesome place. Lot of young people, very accepting environment. and it has enough greenery that it won't feel as foreign as would, say, San Diego or LA compared to your environment in South Carolina.

I think any change, but particularly one as large as this, is a legitimate reason to feel anxiety. And I think you're making the right choice and will be really happy :slight_smile:

5. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aisle seat -- yep. For same reason too. You're no dummy... you'll do fine out west.

And to echo above posters, Portland is probably a better place for you. You know, the physiological feelings of anxiety and excitement are practically the same. You just have to twist your interpretation of them. (Ha, easier said than done.)

I recall the anxiety/excitement of my first plane flight too. Tell us how it went when you arrive!